• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help/tips/advice on oil leak

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it doesn't sound like a gasket, especially being it just randomly went from no leak to massive... that sounds like mechanical damage to something, or a line melting or something... not sure what's on the drivers side though...

best bet, shampoo the engine, let it dry (without starting it) then get underneath (with it on a hoist, or you in a pit) and start it, watch for the leak to start

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I didnt have time to degrease it after work today but I will definitely do so tomorrow. Then I'll start it up and wait. I don't have a pit nor do I have a hoist so under the truck I'll be lol...

I may check the oil filter for that but again I can't understand why the leak would gradually get worse if it was the filter being the problem. I'm not going to rule it out by any means, sometimes crazy things happen.

Another update to come tomorrow, thanks again guys.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get it up as high as possible, via jackstands, or ramps or something then, so you're not nose to oilpan, with a hot, running engine

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a very good tip, may take till friday to be able to use some jackstands, but I think I'll wait for em... gets pretty hot next to that pre cat pretty quick. :fie:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with all the burning hot exhaust, and moving parts, i would even say it would be worth it to pay for a lift for an hour... we've got a couple you wrench places here, you pull up, drive in, and they charge by the hour, there's a base charge of like 10$ per hour, which includes shop space, and hand tools, then there's a lift fee, if you want to use a lift, which is like $4 an hour, then power and air tools are per tool i believe...

for $14, i would see if there is one near you...

Buddy53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm also very interested in this because I've got a 96 3.0 that's just developed the same thing. I've looked and looked but can't find the origin. The best I can figure is just above where the starter is mounted. I just noticed mine and now it can drop a quart in 15 minutes of idling. It gets worse the longer it runs. And there appears to be some small air bubbles in the oil as it drips down the front of the transmission.

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
rear main seal

Buddy53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
It was indeed a rear main seal. $442 and back on the road!

gi728

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/ 2004/ 200
Make / Model
Ford/ Acura/ Fo
Engine Size
2.9/ 2.0/ 6.0
Transmission
Manual
If you have a torque wrench handy I would look up the torque specs for your pan and give the bolts-nuts a once over. I know my 2.9 gets torqued to 4-7 inch pounds. Just an idea. Other wise, pull the tranny, repalce slave cyclinder, clutch, throw out baring, and check your rear main. I would pretty much move everything out of my way till i found it. IMO, I pulled my motor out to replace freeze plugs, glad I did, LEARNED ALOT, you can look the pictures up here, http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92663

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals