Need a metal workers opinion on what to use.

Ranger850

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Agree with Jolene, the thin stuff may be strong enough but it is a PITA to weld.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 248EE46702D889 Expires: October 1, 2019
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I couldn't see the sketch that was posted, but having just installed the oem brackets they're cast iron and beefy.
In my google searches i came across this photo of someone who fabbed their own brackets and used harbor freight lights.

Looks like they just used a quarter inch steel angle. Seems sturdy enough to me.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/R14
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I couldn't see the sketch that was posted, but having just installed the oem brackets they're cast iron and beefy.
In my google searches i came across this photo of someone who fabbed their own brackets and used harbor freight lights.
View attachment 29254
Looks like they just used a quarter inch steel angle. Seems sturdy enough to me.
I had found this one also, here on TRS, and put a link in one of my posts. While one bolt to the bumper bracket would hold the light like this guy did, my fist thought is, wont the angle iron turn shifting the light to one side a bit? I would have 2 easy options: 1. tack weld the angle iron to bumper bracket to hold it still, not may favorite option. And 2. make the bracket longer cut and beat the angle into it then weld the seam and use the second bolt hole. While it's more work the bracket wont turn and it would be usable on other brackets. The previous owner hit a a sand pile and tweaked the bumper so new brackets may be in the future but welding this project to the old ones seems a waste. At least that is my thoughts.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I had found this one also, here on TRS, and put a link in one of my posts. While one bolt to the bumper bracket would hold the light like this guy did, my fist thought is, wont the angle iron turn shifting the light to one side a bit? I would have 2 easy options: 1. tack weld the angle iron to bumper bracket to hold it still, not may favorite option. And 2. make the bracket longer cut and beat the angle into it then weld the seam and use the second bolt hole. While it's more work the bracket wont turn and it would be usable on other brackets. The previous owner hit a a sand pile and tweaked the bumper so new brackets may be in the future but welding this project to the old ones seems a waste. At least that is my thoughts.
The oem brackets use the second bolt hole, so your option #2 would make better sense. You could also just bolt the same size steel angle into the first hole and bolt some flat stock to the second hole, tack where they meet and weld on the outside. Makes it easier instead of beating the angle into a long piece to begin with.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/R14
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The oem brackets use the second bolt hole, so your option #2 would make better sense. You could also just bolt the same size steel angle into the first hole and bolt some flat stock to the second hole, tack where they meet and weld on the outside. Makes it easier instead of beating the angle into a long piece to begin with.
Thanks, now that you said that it make mores sense and less physical work to tack flat stock to it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Good luck buddy. Post them when you're finished.