• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mystery

chazawazzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
hey guys. its been a while and a lot of things have happend since the last time that i was here.
anyways, my trucks check engine light came on and i have noticed a considerable lack of power, loping,eratic idling, hesitation while accelerating, and i just gave it a tune up and checked for vacum leaks.

help
chaz

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys. its been a while and a lot of things have happend since the last time that i was here.
anyways, my trucks check engine light came on and i have noticed a considerable lack of power, loping,eratic idling, hesitation while accelerating, and i just gave it a tune up and checked for vacum leaks.

help
chaz
I recently had the same problems. My issues were resolved by replacing the throttle positioning sensor (tps) and a vacuum line to the map sensor and one for the airbox. Maybe this will help

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
....replacing the throttle positioning sensor (tps) and a vacuum line to the map sensor and one for the airbox. Maybe this will help
X2....prolly the TPS, but check your codes too. Weak ignition coil can aggravate this problem.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
how can you guys condemn a sensor without even knowing the DTCs?

pull the codes and get back to us. there are about 10,000 different problems that can cause your symptoms, replacing a sensor without even knowing what codes the computer has stored because thats what cured someone elses truck is just silly.

chazawazzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
well thats where the problem is. for some reason when i take it to the auto parts house and plug it in, i always get the same answer. "vehicle not responding" although i did get an answer on one of the tests that said faulty circut detected but i dont even know where to begin looking for a bad wire. ( except for the battery) is there a way to test the tps to see if i need a new one so i dont just start throwing parts at the problem?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you can back probe the TPS...but youll need an analog volt meter for it to do you any good.

take the truck into a ford dealer and see if they can pull the codes for you. most auto parts stores carry generic OBD2 scanners that are capable of scanning SOME OBD1 vehicles. id bet the problem is in their scanners, not in your truck.

smokeymcpot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Just a suggestion.

It's not really "silly" to throw parts at it. The TPS isn't very expensive for anyone who has even a little income. Ha, I bought one and I worked four hours a day at Wal-Mart. It's hard to just find the problem by hooking it up, especially to older models. I agree however, because I had to switch out my TPS in my '94 Ranger along with a million others. If not that maybe the o2 sensor isn't up to par; might have one might have two, depends.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it is ALWAYS silly to blindly throw parts at a vehicle...when a little time spent diagnosing it right means you only need to buy one part. id rather not replace a working $40 sensor for no reason...but if you want to thats your call.

a 2.9 has one o2 sensor.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You have a check Engine light?

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals