• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My New Ranger

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I just bought this truck wednesday. 8 days before I got this ranger I had got in a wreck in my 93 F-150 and it got totalled. It turned out to be a blessing since I wanted out of that rusty pos anyway. After searching for a week I found this. I was getting somewhat frustrated searching and not finding much in my price ranger that I wanted.

I insisted on getting a 93-97 Supercab, 4x4, Manual with the 4.0l. And I finally found it. This truck has 95k on the original everything and the only real rust is on the bottom of the trailgate. I got her for $3500 too which I think is a damn good price with list being around $5600 on these trucks with that mileage.

Only problem is that the CEL is coming on randomly. When I test drove the truck it was on, but since it seemed to run fine I figured it wasn't going to be expensive to get fixed anyway. Half way home the light turned off. And now yesterday it turned back on and hasn't turned off since. The truck runs great, with the light on, and with it off. I just wanna know how to check the codes, will this year have to be manual? Or can I buy a reader or have the car parts store check it? I'd leave it alone but I wanna know why it is on.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What year is the truck?

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your Ranger is the one in the picture it is new enough to have OBD or OBDII. You should be able to pull the code with an OBDII/OBD scanner. Figuring out what the code means will be a separate issue, lucky for you The Ranger Station is a great place for that.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if it is a 96 or newer it is obd-II. I would buy a reader or scanner. you can get a reader for $30.......it beats wasting your time and gas to go see the knuckleheads at autozone.........plus sometimes when you are having an issue the CEL never goes on but you could still read the pending codes.......I also would suggest that you create a detailed sig/profile including location, feel free to copy mine.......it helps a lot when people are diagnosing your issues...........................also check the rearleaf spring hangers and shackles for rust( a common problem)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm going to take a shot in the dark on this and guess it's a catalyst efficiency code. Those will make the light come and go with no noticeable effect on how the truck runs.

If it's 93-95 then I am completely wrong since that won't have a downstream sensor that can be used to determine cat efficiency. If it's a 96 or 97 then go get a code reader and get us a code.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Knew I forgot something. It's a 1995, can I scan it or do I have to pull codes manually?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals