• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My evening adventure.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Well, my buddy calls me at about 6 this evening...From about the halfway point between Calgary and Red Deer. His Heep died on him on the highway. They had no power so they couldn't even keep the heat on, and it was about -10*C outside or maybe even colder, plus they're in the middle of the parries so the were completely exposed to the freezing wind. He was helping move his sister back to Calgary from her first year at RDC. He asked me to bring my truck but because I have the subs in it, and the fact that its a two seater it doesn't work bringing 3 people (myself included) back to Calgary. So I call his mother (who he still lives with since its cheaper to live at home, then to live at res). She comes and picks me up in her Heep. So about an hour later driving to find them in a whiteout, that he just so happened to neglect. We found them. Turns out the alternator died on his 4L after 240000km of abuse. So in the middle of a white out on the side of the highway with a basic socket set, 2 vice grips, and a pair of channel locks, I manage to jerry rig it up so it would charge half assed, just enough to get it back to Calgary under its own power. Remember this is in a white out, with ice covered roads, and I'm in my buddy's mother's Jeep, and she doesn't drive in the winter months any more then from work and back, and thats on roads that are 50km/h and below. It was an interesting night, and it ended in her giving me 2 twenties, and we stopped at the liquor store and she bought me a bottle of Lambs Rum. It wasn't all bad, but it was pretty scary driving there and back, I would have taken pictures, but there wasn't anything to take a picture of aside from whiteness.

So what other times have you guys had to do an emergency repair on the side of a road or trail in extreme conditions?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had a mazda once, the entire wheel fell off on the highway... that was scary! had to put it back on, and new rotor when cars were going about80mph almost skinning me!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i've done starters more than once in random parking lots. i've replaced a brake rotor in a school parking lot. i pulled my rear drives shaft on the side of the highway when i had a u-joint go out at 70mph. nothing too crazy... anyways, youre still in the cold huh? it was 70*f today, t-shirt weather!

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've done starters more than once in random parking lots. i've replaced a brake rotor in a school parking lot. i pulled my rear drives shaft on the side of the highway when i had a u-joint go out at 70mph. nothing too crazy... anyways, youre still in the cold huh? it was 70*f today, t-shirt weather!
same here! i dont miss canadian winters!

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
It was 20*C, sunny, and nothing but slightly greenish grass, here on Thursday, and then it was -10*C, about 8-10" of snow and frickin cold, on Friday. Calgary sucks.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i used to live in hamilton, ontario. we had brown snow.... very dirty city!

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was 20*C, sunny, and nothing but slightly greenish grass, here on Thursday, and then it was -10*C, about 8-10" of snow and frickin cold, on Friday. Calgary sucks.
Ha i heard that on the news I'm just happy i did not get it for once, which is what always happens here.

Oh and at -10*C I'm still wearing a light sweater, when you get to -45*C with a wind chill of -56*C and you have to walk 3KMs to school though a open field you can complain.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
i used to live in hamilton, ontario. we had brown snow.... very dirty city!
Hamilton is where my mother-in-law is born and raised. DUDE can you go down to hutches and get me some killer fish and chips.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I've been there before. Calgary is shit for temperature changes, in one day you can have it 20*C and then an hour later you can have a white out with a foot of snow an it being -30*C (don't laugh, its happened before). I had to walk to school when it was -52*C and that was down a valley and then up the other side, only to get there (2km away) to find the school closed so I had to walk back, It sucks I had to walk uphill at the end of both trips in the bitter freaking cold, I seriously thought that I was going to lose my fingers, toes and ears, lucky for me I didn't, that day still sucked.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hamilton is where my mother-in-law is born and raised. DUDE can you go down to hutches and get me some killer fish and chips.
which one? the one downtown at the bayfront park is the best!!! another good place to eat is easterbrooks, its in the next town over though! i really miss poutine!!! i should bring it to the u.s. and become a millionaire!:shok:

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
which one? the one downtown at the bayfront park is the best!!! another good place to eat is easterbrooks, its in the next town over though! i really miss poutine!!! i should bring it to the u.s. and become a millionaire!:shok:
ya My in laws call it Pun-tang. It great every time she oders it

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Couple years ago, I pulled over to help a stranded motorist. I had nothing other than a light jacket, and it was -15 and windy. My tools were a leatherman and a flathead screwdriver. Called the auto part store I normally do business with at 5 mins to closing, had them leave the proper part outside. Travelled 20 miles to get the part each way just to put it on. While putting it on (from under the car), I kicked a vehicle that was passing at 75mph. Most painful kick I have ever given. I refused payment. my father found out what I did when a coworker described what happened and described my truck. (At the time, a 4 door 1970 International 1100, which I still own.)

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to walk to school when it was -52*C and that was down a valley and then up the other side, only to get there (2km away) to find the school closed so I had to walk back, It sucks I had to walk uphill at the end of both trips in the bitter freaking cold, I seriously thought that I was going to lose my fingers, toes and ears, lucky for me I didn't, that day still sucked.
Good times eh? I don't have feeling in the tops of my ears, even though i was wearing a tuque.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals