• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mixing HID and LED off road lights

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
I currently have 2 Kragen 7" HID off road lights up front, but I found a good deal on a used 13.5" LED bar, anyone have any comments on mixing the 2 styles of lights? I am looking for a bit more light.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you're looking for more distance illumination, forget about LEDs (at least until the light manufacturers get with the program on LED color temperatures). If you need something brighter for short-medium distance though, LEDs seem to work well for that.

That said, I'm not aware of Kragen lights being real high quality, so you could still see some improvement over your Kragens with the LEDs, however a pair of good quality Halogen or ~4000K HIDs (Hella, PIAA, etc.) typically smoke LEDs at a distance.

Last edited:

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
for one, the HID kragens have done well for me, they are the flood pattern and maybe arent the best but for the money they do great. I was wondering if they work well together tho, not one or the other. the light bar is a spot pattern so its something to think about.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sure, you can use different types of lights at the same time no problem (sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on that).

My point was just that LED lights usually don't have the same amount of "throw" as a similar halogen or HID light. This is because the 5000-6500°K LED chips most manufacturers seem bent on using have severe discontinuities in their output spectrum (our eyes don't respond as efficiently to their light).

Since your HIDs are floods and the LEDs spots, that should make up for the LED's spectral limitations (the LEDs lighting the way further). If the deal on it is good, then go for it.

(if you couldn't already tell, no I'm not a big fan of LED offroad lights :D )

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
If you're looking for more distance illumination, forget about LEDs (at least until the light manufacturers get with the program on LED color temperatures). If you need something brighter for short-medium distance though, LEDs seem to work well for that.

That said, I'm not aware of Kragen lights being real high quality, so you could still see some improvement over your Kragens with the LEDs, however a pair of good quality Halogen or ~4000K HIDs (Hella, PIAA, etc.) typically smoke LEDs at a distance.
Baja Designs OnX LED bars have the distance of a HID. They use better diodes and have more invested in engineering the best possible light (reflector design, circuit board, housing design,etc.) than their competition.

In OP's case, the LED bar he may be purchasing probably will not throw light as far as his HIDs, but it will be able to fill in the shadows and even out the hot spots at closer range. I definitely think it is worth it if the price is right.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a pair of 55w 6k 4" flood beam pattern hids similiar to what ruffstuff sells and they produce a clean pattern across the trails with minimal shawdowing. And they are damn bright and more cost effective in up front cost. As for mixing, make sure your k values are close enough to one another so you dont get werid color mixtures down range that can stump your eyes.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Baja Designs OnX LED bars have the distance of a HID. They use better diodes and have more invested in engineering the best possible light (reflector design, circuit board, housing design,etc.) than their competition.
I've seen and read about the Baja Designs lights. No doubt they are very well-assembled lights. However they use 5000°K CCT LEDs, which (though much better than many) is still a ways off from ideal.

The human eye responds best to light waves in a range of about 500-620nm. This spans most of the green region, through yellow, to about reddish-orange. Unfortunately phosphor-based white LEDs (the type used in nearly all types of LED lighting products) have a design limitation in that once you get up around 5000K & higher CCT, they end up with very little light output in this part of the spectrum. Instead they develop an extremely strong & narrow output peak at approx 450nm (the fundamental wavelength their chip operates at, which is deep within the blue region). This makes the light more glaring, along with having worse rendering of colors. Such wavelength is also affected more by atmospheric scattering (the phenomenon that causes the sky to appear blue), further affecting the beam's perceived throw distance.

The only good reason I can fathom why light companies choose such high-CCT LEDs is for the simple marketing of lumens. Such LEDs tend to be rated maybe 10% higher lumens by their manufacturers than equivalent ones say, around 3700°K. Problem is... Those extra lumens are a little useless if the output spectrum is so imbalanced that our eyeballs can't work as well with them. :no2:

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
I've seen and read about the Baja Designs lights. No doubt they are very well-assembled lights. However they use 5000°K CCT LEDs, which (though much better than many) is still a ways off from ideal.

The human eye responds best to light waves in a range of about 500-620nm. This spans most of the green region, through yellow, to about reddish-orange. Unfortunately phosphor-based white LEDs (the type used in nearly all types of LED lighting products) have a design limitation in that once you get up around 5000K & higher CCT, they end up with very little light output in this part of the spectrum. Instead they develop an extremely strong & narrow output peak at approx 450nm (the fundamental wavelength their chip operates at, which is deep within the blue region). This makes the light more glaring, along with having worse rendering of colors. Such wavelength is also affected more by atmospheric scattering (the phenomenon that causes the sky to appear blue), further affecting the beam's perceived throw distance.

The only good reason I can fathom why light companies choose such high-CCT LEDs is for the simple marketing of lumens. Such LEDs tend to be rated maybe 10% higher lumens by their manufacturers than equivalent ones say, around 3700°K. Problem is... Those extra lumens are a little useless if the output spectrum is so imbalanced that our eyeballs can't work as well with them. :no2:

Ok so you definitely know what you're talking about. Thanks for the science lesson :tup:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

I love truck nerds. lol

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I guess some of it comes from having toyed around with electronic components (resistors, diodes, etc.) since my single-digit childhood years (and a Radio Shack store right nearby (along with generous parents) to help me feed my curiosities). :icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals