• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Melting Clutch Slave-Cylinder

Roadapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"if we don't know what to do, we'll fake it"
My daughter has a 1990 xlt 2.3 L with a 5-speed manual tranny (it appears to be the M50D-R1). We had a new clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and throw-out bearing installed in Dec 2013, The flywheel was re-faced at this time. The truck ran well until about Mar 2014 when the clutch wouldn't engage and left her stranded. The mechanic replaced the slave cylinder and throw-out bearing and said it had melted together. The truck ran well for a month and the clutch failed again - the same way. My daughter now knows how to limp home a vehicle with a standard transmission (she loves old Ford trucks, is broke, and is using this one as her wheels).

I've found out that in ~1993 Ford went to an all-plastic slave from the metal/plastic unit that was used prior to 1993. It appears that Ford also changed the depth of the hole that is used with the snap-in hydraulic fitting. It appears that the fitting hole depth went from 0.5" to about 0.75" making the original equipment (1990) style slave cylinder incompatible. I've learned from Ford that nowadays when one wants to replace the slave, one must replace the rest (master and hydraulic line) of the hydraulic system along with the slave.

This truck must have had a new clutch/slave cyl. installed after 1993 as it has the newer (longer fitting) hydraulic line on it. So our mechanic *had* to put in the plastic slave cyl. as the original hydraulic line must have been replaced. He is using a Luk part and has been adding the throw out bearing to the slave, rather than buying the entire unit as an assembly.

I am beginning to think that the issue may be the clutch/pressure plate. I purchased a slave/throw out assembly. The throw out bearing on the Ford Motorcraft part (new old stock) I have (6L2Z-7A564-A) seems integral to the slave cyl. and I'm wondering if the relaxed-length of the integral assembly is shorter than the "buy a slave and add your own bearing" unit. To me, from the style of the bearing, it looks like the bearing should very lightly load the fingers on the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged as the bearing does *not* look to be rated for continuous duty - you only load the bearing when the clutch pedal is depressed. So, is it possible the clutch and pressure plate are the wrong P/Ns for this 2.3L engine; could the pressure plate and clutch be loading the bearing too much causing it to overheat and melt when the clutch is engaged? I might be understanding (or not...) the hydraulic line length issues, but I have no idea if it's possible to install the wrong clutch/pressure plate on this engine.

I'd appreciate any insight that you'd have on this. The mechanic is terrific - he's about to give us another free (parts & labor) replacement. This forum is great and I'm happy to go from a lurker to a participant. I appreciate the tech library note on the manual transmission info and a thanks to AllanD on the hydraulic fittings in the "m5od swap slave cylinder fitting question" thread. I thought I was going nuts (well, I am but not for that reason...).

Also, for those interested in 2 of the older slave cylinder assemblies, I found NOS for the 6L2Z-7A564-A and the F1TZ-7A564-A. The F1TZ... was the original slave cylinder that was replaced by the 6L2Z... (This is according to Ford, anyhow). I'm returning the 6L2Z to the vendor, so it should be available for sale soon (and no, it never got near the truck - measuring the depth of the fitting hole was enough for me to send it back).

The 6L2Z... is from www.nospartswarehouse.com at $165.90. The F1TZ... is from Camerota Truck Parts at $135. Clyde at Camerota had measured the fitting hole-depth (0.504"). These are both Motorcraft original equipment parts. Maybe somebody here can use these.

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any suggestions, P/Ns, advice, (or ridicule).

Roadapple

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals