• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mechanical or electric fuel pump?

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
I had to redo the fuel lines in my 302 because the way I had done them was leaking. I have a carbureted motor and was trying to retain the stock in tank pump in my ranger which is a 40 psi pump. I was using a regulator but the pressure was too much and the regulator was leaking. I decided to replace the pump and by default went straight to an electric, mainly because I didn't understand the mechanics of a mechanical fuel pump. I was reading through the tech forums and saw that the fuel pump from a 70' Econoline works so I googled it and found a lot! For cheaper than an electric too. So I youtube'd how they work and am kind of a throwback junky so now Im more interested in the mechanical fuel pump. The question is now can I convert to a mechanical pump? My motor came out of a 90' F150 Custom and was originally fuel injected. I converted it to carbureted but Im not sure if the block is made for a mechanical fuel pump? Does anyone know if my motor is compatible with a mechanical fuel pump? I tried looking but I can't really see where I think it goes... Thanks for the help. If no one knows Ill probably continue with an electric. Aloha, Aaron

faststang90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
on a mechanical pump is turned by the camshaft. so u would need all the parts for that and u would need a timing cover that works with the mechanical pump. here are some different covers they make.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the wrong regulator, did you use a return style? I found spring-loks for my factory lines into a return style regulator and never had a problem running the factory pump setup. I would stick with low pressure electric pump, but just my opinion. Either way, you are probably going to have to drop the tank, take a check valve out of the return and use that as your feed.

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Perfect, thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Unfortunatly I don't think my motor can use a mechanical. Thanks for the help.

I pulled off the bed. I have access to the pump.. The idea of using the return sounds good to me. All I have to do is remove the check valve and it should be ok?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's probably not worth going mechanical unless your engine already is. It's a tight fit with the steering box and you might encounter problems with the FEAD. I'd rather change an electrical that's placed in a good spot, versus a mechanical in a 5.0L swapped Ranger, but just thinking out loud and just an opinion.

Yup, the issue is the pump in the tank, can't use the regular feed line since the pump is inline, in the sending unit assembly. Using the return as the feed gets you directly into the fuel in the tank.

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds good. Thanks. I'll work on it tomorrow and post how it goes. Trs to the rescue as usual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals