• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Marlin 336C debicle

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
It is kind of hard to tell because you couldn't get the rifles lined up evenly but the Mosin looks a little longer than the SKS. I am 6'-3" and the LOP doesn't really bother me so much as the overall shape of the stock.
Mosin was a hair shorter since it was a carbine variant.

I agree about the shape... that's why I finally parted with the Mosin. That bent sheetmetal they call a buttplate just wasn't cutting it for me. Even though it's my biggest gun, the M48 doesn't bug me as much as far as shooting for an extended period, since it had more of a butt cap in my opinion, so its more rounded and comfortable. I also like that slight bump they put on military stocks, but wouldn't want to sporterize it or whatever it's called. Ditching the bayonet lug would be like taking the turret off a tank - it's SUPPOSED to be there. Sporterized military rifles just look naked to me once I'm used to seeing the military style sights, bayonet lugs, and cleaning rods sticking out. A friend has a SMLE and it just looks wrong.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mosin was a hair shorter since it was a carbine variant.

I agree about the shape... that's why I finally parted with the Mosin. That bent sheetmetal they call a buttplate just wasn't cutting it for me. Even though it's my biggest gun, the M48 doesn't bug me as much as far as shooting for an extended period, since it had more of a butt cap in my opinion, so its more rounded and comfortable. I also like that slight bump they put on military stocks, but wouldn't want to sporterize it or whatever it's called. Ditching the bayonet lug would be like taking the turret off a tank - it's SUPPOSED to be there. Sporterized military rifles just look naked to me once I'm used to seeing the military style sights, bayonet lugs, and cleaning rods sticking out. A friend has a SMLE and it just looks wrong.
I like the bayonet, those stocks are available with a slot to keep them. Even if it doesn't come with one I would probably still get the slotted one to get rid of half of the tactical railing. I am not entirely for sure how that top rail would work with the stock sights though... I don't want to scope it.

I like the Mosin aside from the square plated butt, which is why I got the ATI stock for it. The cheekpiece lends itself nicely to the scope too. It doesn't bother me at all, two screws and tap the front sight off and I can have the original wood stock back on. Tap the front sight back on (I always keep it on anyway), and tap out a pin remove scope mount and tap the pin back in and the sights are back to original and nobody can tell anything had ever been any differernt.

I meant the LOP looked a little longer on the Mosin, not the overall rifle.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my SKS stock has the bayonet cut out on it, but i dont have a bayonet. it didnt come with one when i bought it. i cut my barrel down right behind where the bayonet attaches and i'm in the process of threading it for a yugo muzzle break.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, they have had the blessed work of art for 3 weeks as of this coming Tuesday... according their "track your repair" thing on their website they haven't checked it in yet...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
where'd you send it, back to remington? their headquarters are about 2 hours west of me, i'll go in on monday and started busted heads for some answers lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where'd you send it, back to remington? their headquarters are about 2 hours west of me, i'll go in on monday and started busted heads for some answers lol
14 Hoefler Ave
Illion NY 13357

Sounds good to me. :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good work, I got an email this morning it had been received and logged in. :icon_thumby:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
no problem, glad i could help

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They started working on it two weeks ago tomorrow (technically today I guess at 12:40AM)

It has shipped :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got me a package today:

They changed the stock because of fitment and the barrel because of headspace issues.

The stock is lovely with the checkering cut so deep the diamonds don't really have any tops left on them. It doesn't fit the receiver any better than the original stock either.

Just for referance this is the stock I sent back in. I got picky about seeing daylight between the receiver and stock, I should have kept my mouth shut about it.

The grip plate is loose, awesome QC. :icon_thumby:

They didn't change the forearm, it still has the same crappy checkering it did before and still doesn't match the stock in color.

Moving on to the receiver the bluing on the top of the reciever is all scuffed up.

First question of the day is how I am supposed to adjust elevation without a ramp in the rear sight. Also note the bluing worn away from the sight working against the brand new barrel. If you notice the angle of the sight vs the forearm that is another problem too.

Second question of the day is how I am supposed hit anything with the sight mounted on the barrel crooked. I would have gotten a peep sight anyway but it would still bug the heck out of me and detracts from the value of the gun. It would take a lot of the adjustment to get it to center... on a new gun with a straight barrel I would think it should be close to center provided the sight is straight. There is about 1/16" of slop in the rear sight, even clear to the one side it isn't close to lining up. It is pretty much centered in its dovetail too.

Now it ejects with authority, I love it. It still doesn't feed for crap unless you REALLY get after it. Like the opening scene of Rifleman after it, I don't think the gun won't last long banging it that hard. Also of note is the steel filings they left in the gun. This is at TDC for the elevator, in dad's older model 95 45-70 Cowboy and 94 .45LC Cowboy Marlins (both based on the 336) it comes really close to being even with the chamber. My theory is when you lever it hard it flings the shell up (lightweight aluminum snap cap) the bolt catches it midair and throws it into the chamber.

Gonna try to get my money back. IMHO all they really improved apoun was the ejection, EVERYTHING else stayed the same or went backwards.

Last edited:

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
thats really bad.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That's sad, but do you expect anything less from Freedom Group? I mean come on, they closed the plant and fired EVERYONE from Marlin. And Remington, I won't even touch Remington anymore.
I'm glad I got a couple of Marlins before they were bought out. Try and find a gently used one, they used to be dirt cheap but now....now they're worth their weight in gold.

Got any good gunsmiths in your area? Take it to them and have it fixed right.....or you could go the custom route, some sand paper, wood stain, and cera-kote.
This one is damn sexy.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83433

-Jester

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's sad, but do you expect anything less from Freedom Group? I mean come on, they closed the plant and fired EVERYONE from Marlin. And Remington, I won't even touch Remington anymore.
I'm glad I got a couple of Marlins before they were bought out. Try and find a gently used one, they used to be dirt cheap but now....now they're worth their weight in gold.

Got any good gunsmiths in your area? Take it to them and have it fixed right.....or you could go the custom route, some sand paper, wood stain, and cera-kote.
The thing was, I always wanted a 30-30. Winchester got out of the game and their guns command a healthy premium reguardless of condition. I had done some research a couple years before and decided the veteran Marlin would probably be a better buy than the newbie Mossberg... kinda regretting that decision. I didn't know about the buyout until it was too late.

Used Marlins around here sell the same or higher than new... and usually in far from new condition.

No gunsmiths around here, the lever/carrier problem a gunsmith could probably take care of pretty decently but I ain't going to pay to rebarrel a new gun. Then we still have the terrible wood to deal with too.

That custom gun is a neat spin though. :icon_thumby:

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The thing was, I always wanted a 30-30. Winchester got out of the game and their guns command a healthy premium reguardless of condition. I had done some research a couple years before and decided the veteran Marlin would probably be a better buy than the newbie Mossberg... kinda regretting that decision. I didn't know about the buyout until it was too late.

Used Marlins around here sell the same or higher than new... and usually in far from new condition.

No gunsmiths around here, the lever/carrier problem a gunsmith could probably take care of pretty decently but I ain't going to pay to rebarrel a new gun. Then we still have the terrible wood to deal with too.

That custom gun is a neat spin though. :icon_thumby:
I know how you feel, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of Winchesters and a couple of Marlins. Winchester Model 94's are being made again, by Miroku in Japan, the same guys that make the Browning Citori O/U shotguns, for Browning, who sells them under the Winchester name. They may not be the same American made Winchesters from 100 years ago but they are beautiful guns and the quality is there.

You might look a Uberti too, they make(import also) some absolutely gorgeous guns.
AA Grade Walnut, color case hardened, octagonal barrel:drool:

I know it doesn't help you now, but maybe your next levergun.:icon_thumby:

-Jester

Edit: God damn that's a big picture. Fixed

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The new Winchesters are very nice, if I remember right they want a grand or better for them wherever I have seen them in stores... which they are probably worth but that is a tough pill to swallow for a 150-200yd gun.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=003C&mid=534174

Henry makes a knockoff of the 336 that looks really good online. Their .22's and .44's are very nice. For being a made in the US gun are not priced too terrible (assuming the online MSRP fudge factor is usually a couple hundred higher than store prices) and have great service. I have never seen one in real life though.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-3030.cfm

Uburti does make really nice guns but I don't know if they make a 30-30. A '73 in .45LC is on my wish list though.

Kinda thinkin' I will just put my levergun fantasy on the back burner and wait for a nice used Winchester, Marlin or even Mossberg to turn up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals