• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual transmission?

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep JLR
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33's
My credo
#DontFollowJosh
Any rumors of the updated Ranger getting a manual option?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I wouldn’t rule it out... The new Bronco has a 7spd manual (according to leaked pics) and they’re supposed to be a shared platform.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't think it would be offered in a new Ranger, but there may be a stripped down version with it

The tough part is all the traction controls and auto stop, and emergency braking that works best on automatics
There are work arounds but just much easier to do these things in an automatic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't think it would be offered in a new Ranger, but there may be a stripped down version with it

The tough part is all the traction controls and auto stop, and emergency braking that works best on automatics
There are work arounds but just much easier to do these things in an automatic
If they are doing it with the new Bronco which rides on the next gen Ranger platform... all the hard work is already done.

Then it is just a matter of adding it to the Ranger to increase volume and help get the prices down for a second transmission option in both trucks... an option just about everybody else has.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
5 bucks says the manual option if it exists on the new ranger (even on the bronco) will be like a +5,000 dollar option. It will not be cheap...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
5 bucks says the manual option if it exists on the new ranger (even on the bronco) will be like a +5,000 dollar option. It will not be cheap...
On Jeep it is standard, the automatic is like an extra two grand.

Which would make you more money, selling 5,000 $5,000 manuals or 200,000 $2,000 automatics?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Jeep is 30 years behind lol. Pretty much every new car sold today the automatic is standard and a manual is an "upgrade" option. It was the opposite 30+ years ago. Plus they already have the automatic to put behind it, I assume they will stick with the 10 speed. The manual will be a whole new monster. And as much as alot of you want manuals, you gotta accept the fact you are very much the minority lol. They will sell waaaaaaaaaay more automatics.

We will see...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jeep is 30 years behind lol. Pretty much every new car sold today the automatic is standard and a manual is an "upgrade" option. It was the opposite 30+ years ago. Plus they already have the automatic to put behind it, I assume they will stick with the 10 speed. The manual will be a whole new monster. And as much as alot of you want manuals, you gotta accept the fact you are very much the minority lol. They will sell waaaaaaaaaay more automatics.

We will see...
Manual is about $1100 cheaper in the segment leader Tacoma as well...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Hmmm didn't know that. When I got my ranger the manual option was 400 or 500 more. I didn't really want a manual but since I wanted the cheapest damn truck in existence I asked for a 5 speed thinking it'd be lower. The fiesta was the same way, the 6 speed "automatic" is standard and the 6 speed manual is an upgrade (forget by how much)... I should have paid for the #^$^ing manual with that one.

With a rubicon i can see wanting a manual because i gotta assume people with rubicon money have a separate daily driver. The bronco is gonna compete with the rubicon in some form so if I had the money for one I'd want a manual too. Manuals are more fun and thats what people buy things like that for. For practicality, even offroad if we are being realistic I'd want an auto but blah. When you spend 70 grand for a toy, fun comes first.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
With the current new Ranger? Not likely. Since they are supposed to be replacing it with a model based on the Bronco, I really doubt it.

With it’s replacement? Possible but it’s anyone’s guess as to whether it will ever be offered.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the current new Ranger? Not likely. Since they are supposed to be replacing it with a model based on the Bronco, I really doubt it.

With it’s replacement? Possible but it’s anyone’s guess as to whether it will ever be offered.
Agreed.

I do think if they make it for the Bronco and sells well it will likely crossover into the next gen Ranger though.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I wonder this too, but would they offer the next generation Ranger with the same 7 speed? Or would it get a 5 or 6 speed? I think the Toyota Tacoma and the Jeep Wrangler both have a 6 speed manual if I recall. So I'd wonder since the Bronco is getting that 7 speed with the crawler low if they'd put that in a Ranger...I wouldn't think in the regular XL, XLT, or Lariat...maybe in the "Offroad" models? The regular models probably a 6 speed?

I have my doubts though, everything is going automatic for ease of use, and ease of electronic controls to keep the operator from having too much fun LOL. Although that start/stop crap can go away, and they make overrides for that stuff anyhow so no reason not to overlook a manual option in the new Ranger, but may not be the 7 speed I'd guess....I wouldn't mind a little base model 4x2 Ranger with a 6 speed manual though as a work truck. I would wonder how useful that 6th gear would be? I know the 6 speed Toyota Tacomas with the 4 cylinder engines 6th gear is useless unless you are going downhill LOL. The Ranger having the turbo charged 4 cylinder may not have that issue? The Tacoma just drops off after 5th, and in 6th it has a very hard time just maintaining highway speeds on flat ground, throw a hill in and you are down to 4th gear at least.

Should be interesting to see what they do with the next Ranger...I'm in hopes they at least keep a basic 2 door model with a long bed, and keep the price reasonably cheap because I'm sure like myself many others just want a bare basic fleet type work vehicle and don't care about all the extra bells and whistles that everything seems to have. Basic is fine for me I don't even mind manual windows and locks LOL. I guess that's why I like my 87 Ranger so much, its just bare basic, only upgrades were AC and the V6.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
I wonder this too, but would they offer the next generation Ranger with the same 7 speed? Or would it get a 5 or 6 speed? I think the Toyota Tacoma and the Jeep Wrangler both have a 6 speed manual if I recall. So I'd wonder since the Bronco is getting that 7 speed with the crawler low if they'd put that in a Ranger...I wouldn't think in the regular XL, XLT, or Lariat...maybe in the "Offroad" models? The regular models probably a 6 speed?

I have my doubts though, everything is going automatic for ease of use, and ease of electronic controls to keep the operator from having too much fun LOL. Although that start/stop crap can go away, and they make overrides for that stuff anyhow so no reason not to overlook a manual option in the new Ranger, but may not be the 7 speed I'd guess....I wouldn't mind a little base model 4x2 Ranger with a 6 speed manual though as a work truck. I would wonder how useful that 6th gear would be? I know the 6 speed Toyota Tacomas with the 4 cylinder engines 6th gear is useless unless you are going downhill LOL. The Ranger having the turbo charged 4 cylinder may not have that issue? The Tacoma just drops off after 5th, and in 6th it has a very hard time just maintaining highway speeds on flat ground, throw a hill in and you are down to 4th gear at least.

Should be interesting to see what they do with the next Ranger...I'm in hopes they at least keep a basic 2 door model with a long bed, and keep the price reasonably cheap because I'm sure like myself many others just want a bare basic fleet type work vehicle and don't care about all the extra bells and whistles that everything seems to have. Basic is fine for me I don't even mind manual windows and locks LOL. I guess that's why I like my 87 Ranger so much, its just bare basic, only upgrades were AC and the V6.
The only thing right now that would entice me to "look" at buying a new truck would be if Ford decided to upgrade the next Ranger with a manual transmission.

But sadly, to Wild Bill's comment... I think the days of the "basic" concept is gone forever... never to return. Even the XL Ranger's have all the creature comforts and electronic's out the wazoo.

The only reason we bought our 2019 Ranger was because our '02 Tacoma didn't have side curtain airbags. People drive terrible today and after being nearly run-off the road twice in a one month time frame I decided I didn't want to be laid up in the hospital with brain damage thinking those side air bags would have been nice to have.

But I really wanted a manual transmission... my daily drivers since 1985 have all been stick shift mid size trucks.

I will say however that the 10 speed auto in our 2019 Ranger is pretty awesome... but I am concerned about how it will hold up in the long haul here in the mountains with all the engine braking we do.

We'll see....

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The only thing right now that would entice me to "look" at buying a new truck would be if Ford decided to upgrade the next Ranger with a manual transmission.

But sadly, to Wild Bill's comment... I think the days of the "basic" concept is gone forever... never to return. Even the XL Ranger's have all the creature comforts and electronic's out the wazoo.

The only reason we bought our 2019 Ranger was because our '02 Tacoma didn't have side curtain airbags. People drive terrible today and after being nearly run-off the road twice in a one month time frame I decided I didn't want to be laid up in the hospital with brain damage thinking those side air bags would have been nice to have.

But I really wanted a manual transmission... my daily drivers since 1985 have all been stick shift mid size trucks.

I will say however that the 10 speed auto in our 2019 Ranger is pretty awesome... but I am concerned about how it will hold up in the long haul here in the mountains with all the engine braking we do.

We'll see....
The manual would be great, as well as just a basic work truck...every automaker has gotten way out of control with gadgets and gizmos. So now people think that's the standard. Automakers really need to get back to the basics, build stuff to last instead of building stuff with planned obsolescence and electronic failures LOL.

The ever rising cost of a vehicle compared to the never rising income is a huge upset and as a result some like myself look for great used vehicles to keep from walking. Nothing on the market currently is worth my time and money looking at and buying...maybe in 10-15 years when they've depreciated back to earthly prices but right now nothing out there is worth looking at, and definitely wouldn't be going new ever again, I'll let someone else take that economic hit LOL.

msitter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The certification costs probably could not be shared with the new Bronco(different weights) and could be in the millions. The take rate on manuals is so low that several European and American sports cars and sport sedans that used to offer manuals do not now because the costs were not recoverable. Even Porsche is only offering the PDK automatic on several of their sports models. The automatics are so good today that they are quicker and more economical and allow more driver control that manuals are becoming a thing of the past. I saw a test of a Mustang GT convertible 10A that was within an eyeblink of a GT350 running 0-60 in 3.9 sec and 11.90 in the quarter stock. In view of all this, I don't think Ford really will miss the the hundred or so people not buying a Ranger for lack of a manual.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals