• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D-R1HD Creeping/Wont go into gear, NOT the slave cylinder

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It would depend how much they cut off the flywheel when they re-surfaced it but if the slave is unable to move far enough (maxed out) then shimming the slave would solve the problem. Some of the custom aftermarket slaves come with shims and instructions on how to set them up.

i885744

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the inspection plate and measured 67 thousands worth of movement when the clutch is depressed, so it looks like pressure plate movement is not an issue. I also measured the pushrod travel on the master with the line disconnected, just shy of 3/16ths before it becomes had as a rock.

I also did another master and a half worth of gravity bleeding just for fun, I didnt notice any bubbles come out of it, and the clutch feels about the same as it did before.

I also thought I'd check the level of the tranny fluid since I've been noticing it dripping more. I probably put 3 tablespoons in before it started running out the fill hole. I dont know if I'm imagining it or not but it seems a tiny bit quieter when its all the way full.

I didnt notice it creeping today as badly as it has in the past... Still difficult to get into first at a stop, but for some reason its really easy to get into 4th. Once you're in 4th, you can slip it right up into first like nothing is wrong.

What would the symptoms be if I had really worn synchros?

Last edited:

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
4th is a 1 to 1 ratio, so it'll always be the easiest gear to get into. And once your in Fourth The shafts are all spinning the same speed so 1st slides right in. If you had worn synchros the gears would be grinding, it wouldnt cause the truck to creep forward.

It could still be the slave being bad or needing shimming. I've personally put in a Brand new slave that was bad out of the box from the store. I didn't resurface my flywheel however, it wasn't glazed at all and didn't need it.

dkranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
I have a similar problem with my truck. i have a 94 with 4.0l and 5sp. if i dont get my truck into 1st b4 i stop i have to wiggle it around and get it into 2nd b4 i can go into first. it also has a problem going into 3rd and reverse. i dodnt resurface the flywheel i got a brand new one when i did my clutch. im thinkin its the syncros. but b4 i could tear it apart to find that out i ran into bigger problems. rear and and tranny input shaft broke. so just a fore warning be carful not to force things. it can lead to much more headache than you want.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
tl;dr.

if its not the slave cylinder its either a bad pressure plate or a crusty pilot bearing

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you hear hoof beats don't look for zebras -could it be the master cylinder? problems like these are why I am glad I am the service writer not the tech. i always recomend master and slave as a pair and N
EW flywheels

mpire

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Was there any resolution to this?

I had the transmission serviced, the clutch, slave, tob, etc replaced. Just replaced master cylinder. Changed fluid, etc. I am out of ideas.

It is driving me crazy. It didn't have any problems before the transmission was serviced and clutch was changed.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Was there any resolution to this?

I had the transmission serviced, the clutch, slave, tob, etc replaced. Just replaced master cylinder. Changed fluid, etc. I am out of ideas.

It is driving me crazy. It didn't have any problems before the transmission was serviced and clutch was changed.

I can relate. Ours had huge issues with dragging clutch. Finally went with a used master and bench bleed the holy crap out of it.. I figured I had all the air out of the first master it started with. Once the line came off the slave and that check valve triggered?

Hidden air pocket(s) in the master cylinder. I could press the clutch down ever so slightly with a slight rubbery feel.

The used one after bleeding? Goes down about 1/8" and then rock flippen hard and no give. Using advice from here, I've learned how to shift this ol' girl
without having severe problems.

This is probably the worst system, and the best system they came up with. When it works? It's the best! When it needs service? Huge PITA.

S-

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
To me it sounds like a bad roller pilot bearing

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals