• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D-R1 Help

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
So I just replaced the slave cylinder in the truck and before I did there was a grinding noise when I would let off the gas in 5th and just coast on it. It slowly got worse. Now its been a week with the new slave and the grinding has gotten worse. It grinds in any gear over 25 mph. And when I push in the clutch it grinds which is new. Everything works fine, shifting, clutch, etc. But I can't figure out what that noise is. Any help?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you ever changed the fluid in the transmission? If you have done it I would dump it again and let us know what it looks like. Especially towards the end when its done draining.

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I drained it and changed the fluid when I had the tranny out a week ago to change the slave. It was a little dark but not that bad, no chunks or shavings at all

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could be a bad rear axle.

Put the rear axle up on solid jackstands and have someone "drive" it while you (SAFELY) listen for the noises from the side. Often, you have to shut off the engine while the rear wheels are still spinning and the transmission is in gear with the clutch depressed. That'll cut down some of the noise, making it easier to locate the problem.

If you had said the noise is greatly reduced in 4th gear, and much louder in all the rest, I'd think your transmission was bad.

Did you happen to inspect or replace or re-grease the pilot bearing? A bad pilot bearing will make a lot of bad noise.

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Rear axle better not be bad, I just put an Explorer 8.8 in it bout 8-9 months ago and fully rebuilt everything inside and out before I installed it

Pilot bearing I never messed with, might have to check it out. I'm almost thinking clutch or flywheel

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The M50D wears out a lot at the input shaft the bearing goes bad.I also ruins the input shaft when it goes.They sell a kit for this on E-Bay it happens so much.Like Earl says though it would get quiter in 4th gear it takes side load off the bearing.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The M50D wears out a lot at the input shaft the bearing goes bad.I also ruins the input shaft when it goes.They sell a kit for this on E-Bay it happens so much.Like Earl says though it would get quiter in 4th gear it takes side load off the bearing.
boy i learned that last year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals