• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LS Swap Information- 1992 Ranger 2WD

Officer860

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m hoping to get some information in regards to doing a build on a 5.3L to put into my 1992 Ford Ranger. Curious if anyone out there has done this and what issues they faced. If you have suggestions on parts or how to avoid complicated issues down the line let me know. If there is anyone who could give a good guess on total cost of a swap like this I would be appreciative as well. I am at the very beginning stages of looking into this now so almost any information is appreciated. Thank you!

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
It's more expensive than you think. What's your plans with the truck? That's the biggest factor. Just swapping a junky 5.3l and 4l60e won't be too bad but there's still a lot involved. ECU/wiring, header fitment, fueling, cooling, mounts for both engine and trans, driveline and more!

Check out MRE motorsports on YT. He has some good footage of his swapped ranger drag truck.

Officer860

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's more expensive than you think. What's your plans with the truck? That's the biggest factor. Just swapping a junky 5.3l and 4l60e won't be too bad but there's still a lot involved. ECU/wiring, header fitment, fueling, cooling, mounts for both engine and trans, driveline and more!

Check out MRE motorsports on YT. He has some good footage of his swapped ranger drag truck.
I mainly want it as just a fun scoot around town vehicle and have the ability to go to the track and have fun. Bolt on cam build nothing crazy.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
If you look in the 2wd frame section you'll see what I've been doing with my 95. Drag truck, so youll need some kind of anti wrap bar. Lowering the truck at all? What's your budget? If I had to do it all over again I would probably pick a S10. Although the engine bay is smaller there is so much aftermarket support for swapping those trucks. Very little aftermarket anything for the 2wd rangers.

Officer860

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you look in the 2wd frame section you'll see what I've been doing with my 95. Drag truck, so youll need some kind of anti wrap bar. Lowering the truck at all? What's your budget? If I had to do it all over again I would probably pick a S10. Although the engine bay is smaller there is so much aftermarket support for swapping those trucks. Very little aftermarket anything for the 2wd rangers.
Yeah I will be lowering it a little. I don’t want it slammed but just enough to look good. Only reason I went ranger and not s10 is because the ranger has sentimental value to me and is spotless already. Not really sure on budget obviously don’t want to brake the bank but will spend money for quality.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I'd suspect 10k minimum.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
The Explorer 5.0 swap is much easier. Most of the work has been done to fit the 5.0 v8 into the Ranger Engine bay. Just get a Donor v8 Explorer and swap everything over. If you have the LS motor already, I would find an S10 or S15 to put it in.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The Explorer 5.0 swap is much easier. Most of the work has been done to fit the 5.0 v8 into the Ranger Engine bay. Just get a Donor v8 Explorer and swap everything over. If you have the LS motor already, I would find an S10 or S15 to put it in.
It's not the same on a '92 as it is on your '01. The Explorer is still a good donor, but it's not a straight swap.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Its a lot of work for sure. I've done the swap in a Nissan. 10K worth, nope. Closer to 4k on mine. More fab work than anything.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I’m currently doing a build now with a 5.3l and it’s well over 10k. But I’m not using used parts, and I’m buying quality stuff. Still fabricating a lot of it though. Don’t have a choice there. But we were also were talking about the whole build not just the swap. He mentioned lowering and drag racing it.

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
It certainly adds up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals