• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lowering my 1992

bigboiranger09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DJM-Suspension-DB3001-3-I-Beams-Front-Axle-Heat-Treat_W0QQitemZ320286991913QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116 real dream beams and shipping is alot lower on these from summit than those spring tech ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__DJM-Suspension-FK3098-5-Brackets-Flip-Kit-Ford-Range_W0QQitemZ220269332771QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116 flip kit for 57 shipped.

total for both is less than the kit you posted with shipping, but remember youll need rear shocks with the drop, fronts will work OK with the beams.

as for what you could do yourself, you could get or make spring perches and cut off the old ones and weld the new ones on the bottom of the axle. just make sure of your pinion angle if you do this. and remember its not reversable like a flip kit.

keith0486

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what would the drop be like if he went your rout rat_ranger im thinking about dropping my truck to sometime in the future and i know i wanna go as low as i can with out going air ride.

rat_ranger

U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
with just the beams and the flip kit it would be a 3/5 drop. you can add 2 inch coils and blocks to that if you want to get a 5/5 or a 5/7. but to go to the 5 inch drop in the front you will need adjustable camber bushings as well as new front shocks to go with the rear shocks.

for shocks I reccomend something like the nitro slammer shocks. they ride pretty good. But i have read that nissan hardbody rear shocks work real well, and are alot cheaper.

keith0486

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm ill have to look in to that cause mainly want to have a nice even drop i was looking around google image and found this
i really like the drop on it.

what do you think the drop on that truck is?

rat_ranger

U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
my guess is a 5/7 or a 5/9. thats just a guess by how much lower the bottom of the body is from the centerline of the wheel. he's also lower cause of the rather small rims and tires. he is also a 98+ truck which can go a little lower without the camber issues.

keith0486

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm i guess i work some work cut out for me time to do the research and figure out a good drop lol

rat_ranger

U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
for the pre 97 trucks the best you will get is the dream beams, coils, shocks, camber adjusters, flip kit, blocks or flipped shackles to get more than 5inches in the rear, shocks, and small enough tires to clear eerything when you steer.

and depending on how low your goal is its worth getting a relocated tranny xmember that doesnt hangdown.

th31d10t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 that is static dropped for now and I am about to static drop my friends 94 within the next few weeks. I can post some pics of my truck if you would like. I believe my truck came out to about a 5/7 with beams and coils up front then a flip-kit and blocks in the rear running on 17s. My friends is going to have just beams in the front and a flip kit in the rear so it will sit a couple inches higher but he is also on 18s. We are actually taking it off his 91 to put on the 94. I might be able to help you out if you have any questions.

keith0486

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya post up some pics i always like looking at pics of different drops rather then just going by how many inches makes things easier for me

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
th31d10t, what width are you running on your rims and tire sizes?

With the right back spacing I can stuff a 12" wide rim/tire combo out back. Right now I have 275/60/15 that come in at 28" tall and I would like to step up to a 30" tall combo when I get my new rims.

The front is a major concern. The wheel wells do not allow for much more then the 5" drop and even then the stock size combo wouldn't work on my truck w/o rubbing badly. When I had only the coils I ran a 255/60/15 w/o issues but that size was impossible when I had the beams installed. I currently am running a 225/60/15 and only rub when I hit a dip in the road WAY too fast.

James

th31d10t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I am running 245/40/17 for tires on my truck but my friend as factory Mustang GT wheels and tires on his. The only time I have a problem with rubbing is when I hit a good size bump in the road with some speed or when I try to cut the wheel all the way to one side or the other.

My truck

My friends truck

keith0486

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
very nice the truck looks good.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Agreed, clean rides for sure.

Who's beams did you use and what's the width and backspacing of your rims? Are you running same size front/rear? That tire would work up front for me I think, but they are WAY too sort for my 4.10 rear gear.

I may be scoring a set of aftermarket Cobra rims. They are the 17x9's. I know they have a ton of backspacing, but there is conflicting reports on fitment. Some people have NO issues while others have slight rub while others can't even put the center caps on. If the price is right, I'll give it a shot either way.

James

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agreed, clean rides for sure.

Who's beams did you use and what's the width and backspacing of your rims? Are you running same size front/rear? That tire would work up front for me I think, but they are WAY too sort for my 4.10 rear gear.

I may be scoring a set of aftermarket Cobra rims. They are the 17x9's. I know they have a ton of backspacing, but there is conflicting reports on fitment. Some people have NO issues while others have slight rub while others can't even put the center caps on. If the price is right, I'll give it a shot either way.

James
I have the 17 X 9 Cobras and they rub my shock mounts. I have taken them off until I get other rims or spacers . . .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals