• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

loud pump

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
My power stering pump on my 1995 Ranger is kinda loud, ive noticed this on other rangers also too, is it just a "ranger thing" or is there something wrong with my pump, i know the previous owner of my ranger, filled the pump with Automatic Transmission Fluid (BAD IDEA) So i sucked MOST of it out with a turkey baster and filled it with Prestone Power steering fluid and its still loud!
It binds sometimes to esp. when cold, Could the A.T.F. have ruined my pump and thats why its so loud?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Ford power steering pumps are known to be rather noisy. Some pumps are also designed to run on ATF. There's a thread around here that'll tell you. The PO may not have been wrong. If the steering is easy, AKA the pump is working, I'd say its ok.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
i know the previous owner of my ranger, filled the pump with Automatic Transmission Fluid (BAD IDEA) So i sucked MOST of it out with a turkey baster and filled it with Prestone Power steering fluid and its still loud!
It binds sometimes to esp. when cold, Could the A.T.F. have ruined my pump and thats why its so loud?
You're SUPPOSED to use ATF in the power steering pump. Look in your owner's manual for the correct fluid to use. Betcha it'll say to use ATF in it.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Mine is noisey. Makes kind of a buzzing noise when you are turning. I have heard many other Fords do it, so I am not worried about mine.

My owners manual and Hanes Manual both say use ATF in it.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine was noisy. I put in fresh fluid (ATF) and the noise went away.

I didn't just suck it out of the reservoir, I cracked a line and let the whole system drain.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I doubt you sucked anywhere near most of it out with a turkey baster. You don't even get most of it out by pulling the return line. Most of the fluid lives in the GEAR. If you really want to drain it, you pop the return line and then turn the wheel stop to stop until it finishes coming out.

The noise is largely an RBV thing, at least for 3rd gen and later (less so for 1st and 2nd gen). It gets so you can identify a Ford blindfolded.... You CAN get a quiet pump, but it's VERY easy to score it when bleeding, hence the noise. You have to bleed it mostly with the engine off to avoid this.

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks

ok ill drain the pump on the return line and re-fill it with power steering fluid, my owners manual says use power steeing fluid, i dont know i was told its bad to use atf in ford power steering systems but never mind.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
friend of mine swears by using a couple of teaspoons of STP oil treatment to quiet down a noise pump. I has had Fords for 20 years and they all have had a loud pump.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
ok ill drain the pump on the return line and re-fill it with power steering fluid, my owners manual says use power steeing fluid, i dont know i was told its bad to use atf in ford power steering systems but never mind.
I havn't met a ford yet that doesn't take ATF in the PS system

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
a '95 should say to use ATF directly on the reservior cap... once you clean off all the gunk built up on the cap of course. I've found the mobil 1 synthetic ATF to work very good in my 348,000 mile power steering system in my 94.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals