• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

List of quality parts.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What brand batteries have you guys found not to suck. The "house brand" at advance and autozone are worthless piles of garbage. Back in the day diehard and interstate were awesome, not sure anymore. Optimums quality I've heard has gone to hell but last one I had was when they first came out and were freaking awesome.

And as a response to what @19Walt93 said about pennzoil, I can understand the jiffy lube thing but pennzoil ultra platinum is really good oil. I sent oil samples to blackstone quite a few times. I ran mobil1 when I first got my ranger, then switched to penzoil ultra at one point and the next couple samples showed reduced iron and copper wear. Not that it was ever above normal wear with mobil1, but the pennzoil showed a definite reduction in iron and copper levels in the sample.

Last edited:

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I’ve heard the same about optima batteries. I’ve had two red tops in the last five years or so. I sold one of my trucks with the first optima I had purchased, three years without any issues. My ranger has a red top in it currently, only been in it for about six months though.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I heard optimas went downhill after being made of chinesium. I have an interstate store down the street that makes battery shopping very convenient. I run interstate agm.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
for batteries I go to rural king, $54.95, have bought a few (all for different vehicles) and havent had a problem.
on fuel pumps, last oct I wanted to replace my dead original pump in the ranger, had “rigged” a online pump underneath but at 1/2 a tank it would start to starve for fuel. I went to order from rock auto but they were out of stock on motorcraft, so I went with delphi. 4 months later it didnt always want to start and I confirmed it was a fuel pressure issue. So, the electric inline frame mounted pump is back in, Im not pulling the bed again when my rigged summit efi racing pump will get me by, just annoying that I spent time & money on a pump that didnt even make it 6 months, and less than 1,000 miles.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You could buy a Deka Battery. They are mostly American made near Fleetwood Pennsylvania by Amish who left the cult.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Walmart batteries are my go to usually. I almost always get 6-7 years out of them, sometimes over 10.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I had great luck with Centerforce clutches. When I was drag racing I could bark the tires shifting 3-4 with my Dual Friction clutch. It had kind of high pedal pressure so I put the Centerforce Gold back in last winter. The Mustang is still covered because there's no where to go with it right now.
Being a dealer, we sold Motorcraft batteries and they weren't cheap.BUT. I did warranty claims from 1985 until 2017 so I was pretty proficient at preparing them, we had so few defective batteries that I always had to look up the pro rate procedure. I replaced the battery in my Mustang after 9 years as a precaution, it had never failed even with sitting 6 months a year. If I had to jump start it it would have scratched the battery terminals and caused me to replace the cables.
I don't care how good Pennzoil's products might be, they disrespected and screwed over the auto repair industry and Jiffy Lube's existence lowers the public's perception of auto techs.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Walmart batteries are my go to usually. I almost always get 6-7 years out of them, sometimes over 10.
I've also had good luck with Walmart batteries.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
My bad luck w/ centerforce clutches may have been due to improper break in, and/or traffic jams. Seems these clutches were made for racing, not miles of stop and go in 1st gear. I may try em again the future.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Always been Napa batteries for me, never had an issue. Napa seems to squeeze a bit more cca's out of the same group size battery when compared to motorcraft too.

My most recent replacement which is 4~ years old has 50-60 more cca than the factory unit. Its been the victim of parasitic drain probably 3-4 times and still all is well.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
At first I went interstate just because it was convenient. The Warehouse is a few miles from me, I pull up, set my battery on the counter, and they bring out the matching new one. I'm in and out easy peasy.

They do cost more, but I am paying for convenience (and quality). I have since become a big fan of the green battery. My F150 no longer needs jumps after sitting awhile....swapping them into my rascal scooter somehow increased my speed and range, despite being the same 35ah as the original batts.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Napa's only 3 miles from my house, and the store batteries are cheapest so my purchase methods have been born out of proximity and frugality lol.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
DO NOT buy the Duralast clutch slave cylinder. I got it because it's the only one available at parts stores around me. The bleeder valve and hose fittings weren't even long enough to be accessible from the outside of the bell housing.

With that said the Mahle rear main seal is a huge upgrade over whatever was in my truck before (probably the oem one) and I couldn't be happier with my clutch kit from Ram

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I use to always use felpro gaskets. I never heard of mahle gaskets before doing my valve cover a few weeks back. My buddy who works for a medium-heavy truck company said get the mahle over felpro. Quality was definitely on par if not better than OEM. Never had a problem with felpo stuff though but definitely believe I'll be sticking with mahle from now on.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I believe Mahle is mostly known for their pistons but their gaskets seem to be great too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals