• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifting bed dump-truck style

k3eaxk3eax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I need to gain access to the tank preferably without lowering it from under the vehicle. Now I know that the bed can be removed or even slid back. However, I'd like to know if anyone has removed all but the rear bolts which are simply loosened (the rear bolts being those closest to the tail-gate) and then raised the bed dump-truck style. It seems that doing so would be an easier approach than removing completely or sliding back. By the way, there is YouTube video showing a Chevy S10's bed treated in this way.

Al

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was actually thinking about making my truck a dump bed!

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It was my experience that the hardest part about taking the box off is loosening the bolts. They're coated at the factory with thread-lock. So be prepared for a fight and a couple bent torx bits.

k3eaxk3eax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thread -lock applied at factory -- now, I've not read that before. Many posting here do forewarn of the difficulty in removing the bolts though. What do you know that enables you to say this about thread -lock? Since most posted advice suggest the use of Pb Blaster, it might be more effective to use a product designed to "release" the thread-lock. I would really like to hear from you on this.

Al

Sighman

04/2011 & 04/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You will also have to deal with the gas filler tube........ I took mine off to flip my rear spring perches and it is a pain to get the bolts out. I actually had to cut the 2 near the rear window and replace the whole set of screw clips that go into the frame once I managed to get it off!

Last edited:

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Don't let the bed bolts scare you. T-55 torx, 10 inch extension, soak em in PB Blaster and have at it! I did mine in Sept. 2 of us got the new fuel pump on and working in about an hour and a half. The secret is take the tailgate off first, second unplug the tail light harness by the spare tire, take out the 3 screws holding the filler neck and tuck the filler neck down the hole. Have some sturdy saw horses. The hardest part is carrying the damn bed a few feet to sit on the saw horses. The pump install is maybe 3 minutes this way.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had my bed off the ranger last fall and the bolts had the blue thread-lock on them . taped them with the impact and they came right out no problems. dodge used the same stuff on my dad's '07 ram. I'd say all the truck mfg are using similar products...

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah...I wasn't saying that it's going to make your life miserable to no end....I just said it would be the hardest part of the job.

Keep in mind now that I did that in 2002 on my 1993 ranger and it was a pain in the hiney with just the torx bit and the breaker bar(no fluids of any kind were used)....but I got it done fairly easily all things considered.

All 3 of my filler neck bolts came out without a problem.

And as for moving the box, I did it with the help of my dad and it wasn't a problem at all. Just make sure you wear work gloves to pick it up....it's a bit sharp(well...on mine anyway). lol.

k3eaxk3eax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks to all those who replied! But my original question regarding the possible "dump-truck" like upward pivoting of the bed remains. Those of you have removed the bed, is there any reason that you can see why this cannot be done.

Al

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Technically you should be able to do it....but it would make your life a whole lot easier to take it off completely.

Not only would you have more room to work, but you wouldn't have the worry of having the bed come crashing down on you at any given time.:icon_thumby:

Not to mention that there's really no telling just how high you'd be able to angle it until you try it out for yourself.

Hope this helps.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
It was my experience that the hardest part about taking the box off is loosening the bolts. They're coated at the factory with thread-lock. So be prepared for a fight and a couple bent torx bits.
Thread -lock applied at factory -- now, I've not read that before. Many posting here do forewarn of the difficulty in removing the bolts though. What do you know that enables you to say this about thread -lock? Since most posted advice suggest the use of Pb Blaster, it might be more effective to use a product designed to "release" the thread-lock. I would really like to hear from you on this.

Al
I said it once and and I'll say it again, for someone with little to no patients like myself. Been there done that a 4" angle grinder works just fine. Replace with brand new grad 8 bolts and you good to go. Oh and I honestly think it's easier to drop the tank. Just make sure you depressurize the fuel system first.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
All the body bolts get thread locker at the factory. Along with a lot of other bolts. It's blue.

The substance that is designed to "release" thread locker is called "heat". It is generally procured by burning things. Be careful using it near the tank.

k3eaxk3eax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We'll Jim there are other ways to produce heat. And to name one, there's electrical resistance ---you know, like the source of the heat that emanates from a heat-gun. So let me ask Jim, have you ever used a heat-gun on thread sealer?

Al

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Why do people keep calling me Jim? My name is Eric. I have also been known to answer to "Alfonzo", "Gomez", "Enrique", "Spaz", "Dork", "Tail", "Shmendrick (sp?)", "Youngster #1", "Youngster #2", "Youngster #3", and on occasion and from the right people "Rodeo Clown". I just want to elect Jim for president.

Anyway, no I have not used a heat gun on thread locker. It doesn't make enough heat. Butane or Acetylene are a little closer to the range you are looking for.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you try raising the bed dump-style, the bottom corners of the bed would probably scrape all the way up the back of the cab. You might have to trim the bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals