• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

led headlight bulb on 94 ranger

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wanting a nicer light output from my headlights.... thought about led? good? bad?
i dont see leds working as a high/low function... am i gonna be that asshole with my high beams on at all times?
is hid a better option?

any input is appreciated!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I put them in my F150 and old Jaguar, and bought the replacement light assemblies for my girlfriends Wrangler. I love them. Since the F150 and Jag have seperate bulbs for high beams I got much brighter bulbs for the high beams.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You need a housing designed for LEDs for them to work correctly and not cause issues. The reflectors in the headlight housing are designed for the output and focal point of halogen bulbs. LEDs often aren’t at the right focal point and cause glare issues for oncoming traffic.

You can get away with using the OEM housings for marker, turn signal, and running lights but usually not for head lights.

Also, people who tried the conversion housings have had mixed results. At least in the older trucks. Some have said they are worse than the OEM halogens for light output.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i wonder if hids will work better since theyre more like a halogen

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you do the full conversion, yes. You have to modify the original housings with projectors for them to focus correctly or get HID housings. Retrofit kits that don’t offer one or the other are garbage. It was, and probably still is, a big thing with the Honda crowd and they debated the death out of the pros and cons to the different upgrades out there. Some of the work done right looked pretty good if you are into that kind of look.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Not advised, hid's in a regualr headlamp will thro the light everywhere, there's no casper shield around the filament to direct the light. The lumens output is so bright they will blind oncoming traffic.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yellow is sooo much better on my old eyes. I hate the blue that all the newer vehicles have.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
9007 HB5 CREE LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit High Low Beam 6000K Xenon White

^^ I bought those on ebay after a lot of comparison and they work great. Actually have high and low beam (most LED conversions only have 1) and they fit the Ford housings and they provide significantly more light but not so much that you blind the oncoming traffic. The only problem I have with them is that they do not put enough heat into the housing to melt off the snow/ice that accumulates when driving in a snow storm. Of course that is generally not an issue in CA.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You could always install the bulbs that put out mostly white light with a hint of blue.

I think they cause glare problems for the driver on wet roads but they would avoid the blinding oncoming traffic issue.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Well, I have led headlamps installed....I can say truthfully that they do provide more illumination on the road directly in front of the truck. The light they cast down the road lights up signs significantly better than the lowly 9007 halogens, they are 6000k, but they are too white for my liking.
If you do decide to get some get the 3 sided filament board style, they can be aimed as only 2 of the 3 boards light up on low.

check these out.......they are a 4300k bulb set, that is a white light whiter than the halogens but not that white white one gets with 6000k led's.

I can't get the dealer to ship these outside the lower 48 states & I want a set of them (2 to be exact)

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
9007 HB5 CREE LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit High Low Beam 6000K Xenon White

^^ I bought those on ebay after a lot of comparison and they work great. Actually have high and low beam (most LED conversions only have 1) and they fit the Ford housings and they provide significantly more light but not so much that you blind the oncoming traffic. The only problem I have with them is that they do not put enough heat into the housing to melt off the snow/ice that accumulates when driving in a snow storm. Of course that is generally not an issue in CA.
the link doesnt work

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I too don't care for the bluish-white light of most LED offerings. I'm glad to see those 4300K ones (hoping such color temperatures will finally start making their way over to the better-quality brands of lights).

so ugly yellow halogens it is! lol
Are your factory lenses yellowed? Cleaning them up can make a huge difference, if so...
Another option is to rewire the headlight circuits with relays so that you'll have a shorter (lower-resistance) path from the battery to the bulbs (the OEM wiring has the current going through the multifunction switch on the steering column, then out to the bulbs, which creates a fair amount of resistance in the wiring). This will also allow you to run higher-wattage bulbs with less risk to the factory wiring.
Best option though is to add a pair of auxiliary driving lights, this will put far more light further down the road than anything you can do with your headlights. Using a relay, you can have them come on with your high-beams too, if desired.

Stay away from HID if you have 2-way radio equipment or if you value good FM radio reception (HID usually puts out a lot of radio static).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals