• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

led headlight bulb on 94 ranger

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I too don't care for the bluish-white light of most LED offerings. I'm glad to see those 4300K ones (hoping such color temperatures will finally start making their way over to the better-quality brands of lights).

Are your factory lenses yellowed? Cleaning them up can make a huge difference, if so...
Another option is to rewire the headlight circuits with relays so that you'll have a shorter (lower-resistance) path from the battery to the bulbs (the OEM wiring has the current going through the multifunction switch on the steering column, then out to the bulbs, which creates a fair amount of resistance in the wiring). This will also allow you to run higher-wattage bulbs with less risk to the factory wiring.
Best option though is to add a pair of auxiliary driving lights, this will put far more light further down the road than anything you can do with your headlights. Using a relay, you can have them come on with your high-beams too, if desired.

Stay away from HID if you have 2-way radio equipment or if you value good FM radio reception (HID usually puts out a lot of radio static).
they are pretty yellow, I have new ones coming in the mail.
i don’t have a 2 way and never use fmradio so none of that is really a concern.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
they are pretty yellow, I have new ones coming in the mail.
i don’t have a 2 way and never use fmradio so none of that is really a concern.
Should be no problem then. As was said above, you do need proper housings for HID bulbs, but having that, they can be pretty bad-ass. Higher °K numbers aren't quite as glaring with HID as with LED, but I would still suggest something around 4000-4500°K for best light quality.

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well, I have led headlamps installed....I can say truthfully that they do provide more illumination on the road directly in front of the truck. The light they cast down the road lights up signs significantly better than the lowly 9007 halogens, they are 6000k, but they are too white for my liking.
If you do decide to get some get the 3 sided filament board style, they can be aimed as only 2 of the 3 boards light up on low.

check these out.......they are a 4300k bulb set, that is a white light whiter than the halogens but not that white white one gets with 6000k led's.

I can't get the dealer to ship these outside the lower 48 states & I want a set of them (2 to be exact)

Do these plug right into the oem housing without anything else needed?

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Yes they do.......I see that your truck is an 04?
check the plastic bulb retainers for their condition, as they age the molded *fingers* that hold the bulb in place become brittle & will snap off.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I had a 92 that took the 9004, I used the ones with the blue bulbs because they were brighter, but they didn't last as long as the standard ones. Did you price just the HID bulbs? The standard HID bulbs are almost $100 just for the bulbs, and that doesn't include the different housing they require. In my 04 Ranger I have higher wattage bulbs; standard is 55-65 wats and I have 80-100 wats. They aren't considered legal but around here most of the newer vehicles have LEDs and mine aren't as bright as those. I have one of those small light bars that has the LED lights in it, and it is bright, but it doesn't light up very far in front of my truck, maybe some of the new one do, I don't know.

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I imagine something like this is not actually made to support the use of LED bulbs and is simply advertising the built in vanity LEDs ?
1673466933178.png

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Something like this housing seems to be made specifically for the HID:
1673467052513.png

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought a set of these recently and put in the Ranger when one of my earlier LED bulbs died. I really like these new ones. Good light pattern, a little more bright than the halogens and has both high and low beam.

Lasfit 9007 HB5 LED Headlight Bulbs High Low Beam 6000K White Fanless Bright 2X

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You may have to fiddle with the head light aiming some. I don't know if it's a housing design or how the lights are aimed but even on new vehicles with LED head lights from the factory, they tend to generate glare for oncoming traffic. At least for me in in a 4X4 Ranger. Taller vehicles or lower vehicles, it may not be a problem. Just an observation I had and food for thought.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals