• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Latest issue with M5ODR1-HD transmission

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have posted before about an issue I have with transmissions popping out of 5th gear. I just installed a Zumbrota re-manufactured transmission that was a replacement under warranty. I seems they used the wrong gearbox housing. It is missing the right side (passenger side) upper bolt hole that is used for the 4.0 SOHC engine. I think the housing is from a 4.0 OHV (push rod) engine. So, I can only use 7 bolts instead of the 8 that my original transmission used. It has the two holes at the very top that are normally there but is missing the one hole on the right that is slightly down from those holes.

I am going to contact Zumbrota to discuss the situation. It was built in January and should be covered under warrant but I am tired of changing transmissions.

I didn't see it until I had the transmission fully installed. I really don't want to take it back out. Do you think I will have a problem with using only 7 bolts?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
No - if memory serves, lots of people have interchanged OHC transmissions onto OHV engines and vice versa with no concerns related to the extra SOHC bolt hole.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Would not bother me. IMO Zumbrota is gaining a reputation for being kinda sloppy in my mind but I guess if you get a working transmission out of the deal, that's what really matters.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you are correct, it is a 1990-2000 M5R1 4.0l housing if there are only the 6 "block" bolts, 2001 and up have 7
But its odd your shifter fit, they must have used the 2001-2011 top plate and shift rails
Difference seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/January2011/M5OD-R1HD/m14.JPG

And I thought the OSS sensor(2001 and up) was at the rear of the main case, like in an automatic, not on the rear housing

No, I wouldn't worry about it, but for sure make them aware of it in case there is a future issue, or they want to swap it out

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I did contact Zumbrota mainly to have it on the record in case there was a problem later. I just told them what I found, and the person I talked to was aware of the difference. I was told they would get a correct new one built ASAP and get it to me quickly. I told them I was not in a hurry to replace it and the transmission was working, so I was able to drive it. They said they would still prefer to get it to me ASAP because those housings were getting harder to come by and don't want to get it back damaged.

This will be the third re-manufactured transmission from Zumbrota. I hope three times is the charm.

I have a trip I need to take to Albuquerque in a couple weeks. I will just take it easy and not put to much load on it the bell housing, and hope it does okay.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better about using it for awhile.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sounds like they’re stepping up to the plate, glad to hear it. 🙂

-Jazzer

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Lots of high hp LS motors are being run attached to an th350/th400 without all the bellhousing bolts.. I wouldnt worry about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals