• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

K5ranger

tonykirkus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone ever took the whole driveline out of a k5 blazer: axles, small block, transmission, transfercase, 44's and stuck it under a 01+ ranger?? before and after pics coming soon.....

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Thats deff going to be original! IMO it shouldn't be any more difficult than swapping in the whole f-150/bronco driveline which has been and can be done. Only snag id see in the swap would be the wiring with the newer ranger vs. the older blazer. Most deff post pics of this!

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i would just drop the cab and bed on the k5 frame... but thats been done already

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone ever took the whole driveline out of a k5 blazer: axles, small block, transmission, transfercase, 44's and stuck it under a 01+ ranger?? before and after pics coming soon.....
:icon_confused: Why ? What's the point in that ? :dunno:

tonykirkus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
the thing is... i still owe about 9000 on the ranger lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt put it up on 44's if the k5 was sitting on 10 bolts

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt put it up on 44's if the k5 was sitting on 10 bolts
I wouldn't put 35's on it if it was sitting on ten bolts.

For that size tire, you NEED one ton's at least, unless you want to go full street queen and not even put a front driveshaft in it.

There is a special place in hell for the person who thought that was a great axle for half ton trucks... it was an undersized axle for the s10.

My freakin ranger comes with a bigger rear axle...

hell, jeep cherokees come with a bigger rear axle...

Toyota mini trucks come with a bigger... do you get my point?

If there is one reason I hate chevys (which I don't because I'm not brand loyal) it's those damn ten bolts! 12 bolts aint much better. I like ff14's though. But the sterling has more ground clearance. but 400 bucks for a lunchbox locker kinda sucks.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
uhhhhhhh don't do it. Just saw this.

Never modify anything (especially something as huge as a sas/engine swap) until it's paid off. And you got another vehicle? Cuz you're gonna have some downtime. How deep are your pockets? A lot of stuff likes to go wrong and sas's are kinda expensive on 98+ rangers.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't put 35's on it if it was sitting on ten bolts.
my buddy ran 10 bolts with 35's, not a year after he had put them on, the ring gear was chipped, cracked, broken on almost every tooth. he only wheeled it maybe once a month

go buy a POS jeep CJ with a blown engine for dirt cheap and put the driveline in that

Last edited:

tonykirkus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i dont know what the hell im gonna do anymore... everyone that sees the k5 wants me to keep it how it is and just leave the ranger alone. i picked it up yesturday in valdosta, ga its already sitting on 38.5 boggers. and the 10 bolts will work just fine for now just gotta be careful.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
my buddy ran 10 bolts with 35's, not a year after he had put them on, the ring gear was chipped, cracked, broken on almost every tooth. he only wheeled it maybe once a month
Yeah, my buddy had that on two of his k1500's... and both after 6 months and two grenaded ten bolts, both got 14b's swapped in.
i dont know what the hell im gonna do anymore... everyone that sees the k5 wants me to keep it how it is and just leave the ranger alone. i picked it up yesturday in valdosta, ga its already sitting on 38.5 boggers. and the 10 bolts will work just fine for now just gotta be careful.
Just run it like it is and use the ranger as a reliable daily driver. Trust me, while it can be done, it's not always the best idea to sas your dd (I ended up buying a car because of how long my ranger ended up/is going to be down)

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
:icon_idea: Just play with the K5 as is. :icon_idea: Why ruin a $14000 truck by using $50 worth of parts ? :icon_confused:

tonykirkus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
this ranger is not reliable.. i have gotten the transmission rebuilt 4 times from 1 person and 3 times from a "certified" transmission shop. they cant figure it out and will not refund any of my money back. so now i have a broke down ranger behind back that wont run because of map sensor and wont drive because tranny and 2 flat tires that im paying $400 a month for............................ i havent drove it in over a year.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been driving since '63' and never had any transmission problems. Is this the same transmission that you keep having rebuilt? Why keep taking it back to the same places if you don't get any warrenty? Could be a bad case or one of the shafts, throwing new parts in won't fix everything. What kind of trans, what power you putting down?
Dave

Last edited:

tonykirkus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
well it all wasnt the transmissions shops fault, except for these last guys.
soo how it went out... long story, driving on the beach, tried to run stump over, pushed my radiator in, tranny cooling lines hit fan, broke shooting transmission fluid everywhere, got stuck, got pulled home. worked on it the next morning fixed the line put fluid back in. then found water in tranny. replaced radiator then it was too late.
1st- water damage got rebuilt $500
2nd- installed it "myself" didnt put spring on parking paw, broke of a few weeks later trashing some hard parts inside, pulled it back out for rebuild again $500
3rd-got it back and busted pump out
4th- got new pump put in lasted 2 months gone again....
5th- finally i broke down and took it to this shop in jacksonville called extreme overdrive they are certified (maybe) from what i was told. handed them $1400 cash for them to pull out the right way, rebuild right way, and put in the right way.. got back 4 months later!!! lasted one month
6th- dropped it back off for warranty. said a few gears were broke forgot the names $150 more 2 months later. picked up drove 4 miles down interstate, no overdrive already and motor not running right.
7th- called and told the owner that it went out again and he cussed me out.... and hung up.. sooooo goin to court soon...

but anyways its all stock besides body lift and 35'' all terrains. 2001 ranger 4wd 4.0l 5r55e tranny. it just gets used as a truck and not for anything else. pulling boat, 4wheelers, stump griders.... used for "truck" stuff... so im agrivated and broke. got a k5 blazer was going to rip out running gear put v8 and 1/2 tons on a little truck and be done and maybe that will hold up. if not i guess the next step is burn it to the ground and go buy a deisel. but whatever

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals