• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Jumped timing belt. How do set crank and cam back to TDC independently?

dangertorangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
225/70r14
My credo
1-40 CAV B Trp
Thanks in advance for reading this long ass plea for help. I have been using TRS as a resource since high school and have never had to post thanks to the ridiculously knowledgable and responsive members of this forum. Keep up the tinkering!

I was cruising along at about 15mph letting engine cool down some after a long drive (not sure if that's a thing that is actually helpful to the engine or not? Made it up and it made sense in my head so started doing it) when the engine suddenly gave a very small cough and died.

When attempting to start, everything sounded like it was moving as it should. Started by testing spark and fuel pressure, all good. Half-heartedly tested a boatload of sensors (that I've replaced 80% of) with my multimeter to no end. Had been having some symptoms that I associated with a partial head gasket leak (misfires under heavy load mostly) so decided to do a compression test and got 0psi in cylinders 1 and 4, ≈35psi in cylinders 2 and 3. This told me I had bad rings, bad head gasket/cracked head (highly unlikely), or something wrong with timing (the belt/tensioners are parts I already have on hand if that tells you about my confidence in the OEM ones from '89). Pulled the valve cover off to find a very small puddle of coolant on the exhaust side between cylinders 3 and 4:
B94BA4D0-6B4F-4331-810A-826A6B36B5E4.jpeg
This gave me no specific idea of what the problem might be besides bad.

Started taking the head off to find that the timing belt had ripped about 5 teeth out and had very little tension.
056E24B1-B6AE-48A8-9AEF-C8A3EC4EF778.png
This allowed the crank to spin freely even with belt still installed. Timing belt gave me the solution to my no-start problem, however, decided that I ought to pull the head anyways since I had suspicions of a bad head or head gasket and wanted to ensure pistons hadn't made contact with anything they shouldn't.

In my very limited knowledge the pistons look fine (although caked with carbon from the silly little EGR on these motors, long gone).
38A765E0-0B72-4108-8AE2-6A5D8EDACC47.jpeg
28C186B0-4EDB-49E0-A7B7-F792D437EBB7.jpeg
2FDD3A1A-FAE8-4CB3-AD94-4ACD91473C50.jpeg
I have done a little bit of cleaning so far but know that I have lot more to go. The first photo of the deck is prior to cleaning and I THINK gasket still on.

The head gasket looks decent to me, though it's clear that the area that holds coolant has a fair bit of rust in there because the openings to allow coolant to flow had oxidized metal in them. Also thinking maybe someone put some radiator stop leak in here? Have heard that can cause issues with coolant flow.
285BFCB7-89EF-404C-AA72-4F7D69164375.jpeg

As far as the head is concerned I am going to have to remove all valves and such and have it deck mating surface flattened, valve seats restored, and intake ports matched (based purely off of the amount of carbon in those valve seats, no way those are sealing properly). Here are photos of the head after initial cleaning just for due diligence:
9E4F739D-BA9B-4E63-BE4C-3C9EDFF7AAD5.jpeg
301E88ED-EC69-49D2-8ED6-C0CAF9C1F938.jpeg
E1D7E66D-10B0-4C72-9380-910FDBAFB86B.jpeg
7C1B5922-5800-487B-BECA-2989603C6DF6.jpeg

Since everything seems to be mechanically intact my intention is to make sure the rings are good (don't know how to test that, am working out of town for a few days though so have some time to research) and if so re-assemble the cleaned up head and put everything back together with new gaskets. The one thing there that I have no idea how to do is be 110% sure as I'm installing the new timing belt that my crank and cam are both at TDC. I have not been able to find any sort of mark on crank pulley, though cam sprocket is clearly marked. Regardless of whether the gears have marks or not, what do I even line those up with?
PS: Thank you very much for any response or input you may have!

Update: Ended up purchasing a reman head from Allied Motor Parts in GA so that I could keep the old (wanna disassemble and get a better understanding of parts/functions). After cleaning up the deck surface with up to 220 grit sandpaper, and removing as much carbon as possible without damaging metal, checked deck level with feeler gauges, as well as ensuring pistons were seated dead center in bores and rings were snug to cyl walls.
DF4EDFC4-C316-478C-ABAF-0FB8B73E2644.jpeg
Placed head on and torqued.
456FE40A-4F66-4D40-A490-6947BED81D8B.jpeg
The channels in the front and rear passenger bolt holes were destroyed, but decided that they were unnecessary after ensuring that no coolant or oil used them as a passage, they're purely for aligning block-gasket-head as far as my driveway experimentation told me. Replaced all gaskets with new ones as well as wrapping any wire or hose near heat sources with exhaust wrap. Removed the EGR tube (finally) and sealed the bung using RTV and a quarter.
27A4E512-9418-45A0-BDE4-8611A170FD2D.jpeg
Ran an old EGR vac line through the wiring harness (as well as inserting other tubes into harness just to give engine bay a cleaner look) to give ECU the idea that it's stuck closed rather than nonexistent, we'll see if that has any effect, previously I just had it all unplugged and capped. Cleaned, port matched, and painted all intake parts (not TB, honestly was just too lazy to take it apart to the extent that it'd be paintable).
67F0B218-4653-4F68-8FC3-78AA6FEBD5F5.jpeg
AE7C9B70-464C-4A24-86D3-27D6E4DAF7E1.jpeg
001AFD9C-C318-43E6-9ED7-40D0250CCFB9.jpeg
FBE4E084-2EF2-42E3-9F99-269DFCEFBA88.jpeg
After this; primed oil pump, immediately installed timing components (that spring is STRONG), and put on valve cover
0E22D03B-B4B8-493E-941A-356536FABAB4.jpeg
2C14BF47-9F46-4D51-A397-AFA36D229636.jpeg
time for start-up! At start-up I put some ZDDP additive into the oil and instead of coolant had the radiator filled with a coolant system cleaner (brand is escaping me), followed the instructions for this cleaner (in N smoothly rev from 1500 to 3000 and let it back down, repeatedly...) for their recommended time of 20min, then went on a 50mi drive, never allowing RPM above 3000. Parked and immediately began draining oil while allowing engine to cool. Once engine had reached a temp where I could press palm against it no problem, filled it with oil/fresh filter and performed a cooling system flush, refilling with proper 50/50 mix. Since start-up I have driven ≈550mi, the longest trip in that time being about an hour.

Differences I have noticed: The fuel economy is slightly worse (≈30mi/tank) though the vehicle's ability to maintain ANY speed in the "correct" gear has been greatly increased. This holds true on a hill unless below 2000RPM, and accelerating up a hill is a bitch n a half. It now idles significantly more smoothly, although I am still noticing a random misfire that I have not had the time to hunt down. The torque band seems to have shifted from ≈1500-2500 to ≈2000-3000, an (as far as I know) unplanned but expectable outcome of matching, kinda annoying when accelerating but the truck was crazy slow to begin with so really have no right to complain. When under load the motor sounds as if it is having a much less difficult time pushing the vehicle, though this could be because the massive exhaust leak I created is not allowing backpressure to happen (that's more of a question than educated guess) or the leak is masking any odd noises that may have appeared. Overall, should have just found an older VW TDI motor and thrown it in there so I can actually break 85mph, but the truck runs significantly better and I would hop in it and drive anywhere if needed (only if needed cause it'd start burning my wallet instead of gas at some point). Thank y'all for all your help, hopefully this will help someone else out there, time to measure for some f250 struts/leaf shackle flip!

Attachments

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Which emgine do you have?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
I geuss 2.3 since that is this section.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Looks like it is on the end of the pulley. Just a little dot

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Have that head magnafluxed for cracks, the 2.3 dual-plug head is horrible about cracking from thermal cycling, If it is and you get a junkyard head it might be the same way (personal experience) I ended up getting a remanufactured head from autozone, dont recall the price, its been 4 or 5 years and im sure its more $ now. If you can see in this picture, all the white marks on the valve seats are cracks. My issue started with a blown head gasket between cyls 3&4. A 2.3 doesnt run well as a 2 cyl.
4D9C1B4A-9F30-4085-8EE0-E2662F425FC1.jpeg

dangertorangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
225/70r14
My credo
1-40 CAV B Trp
Looks like it is on the end of the pulley. Just a little dot
On the rear of the pulley facing the ground? I'm gonna have to give that another look!

dangertorangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
225/70r14
My credo
1-40 CAV B Trp
Have that head magnafluxed for cracks, the 2.3 dual-plug head is horrible about cracking from thermal cycling, If it is and you get a junkyard head it might be the same way (personal experience) I ended up getting a remanufactured head from autozone, dont recall the price, its been 4 or 5 years and im sure its more $ now. If you can see in this picture, all the white marks on the valve seats are cracks. My issue started with a blown head gasket between cyls 3&4. A 2.3 doesnt run well as a 2 cyl.
View attachment 85345
Holy cow both of those had a bunch of cracks... definitely gonna get mine looked at after seeing that but probably more for curiosity's sake. Seems like a better use of my time to buy a head like you recommended after ensuring the bottom end is okay. Getting up a hill that way is no fun at all

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
The pics looks like a small bot on the edge of the pulley facing the radiator. Like a punch mark

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that plus this:

Lima 2.3L 2.5L timing marks.gif

Don't worry about the aux shaft (the middle big one) on a '89 since it just turns the oil pump..., the mark on the cam pulley has a corresponding mark on the plastic inner timing cover conveniently right under the silly rubber dust plug on the outer timing cover...

Don't forget to put thread sealant on the cam bolt no matter what you do, that can be a huge oil leak...

Look at all the cylinder bores while you have it apart like that, any vertical lines in the bore that can catch your fingernail mean the rings/pistons are questionable...

dangertorangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
225/70r14
My credo
1-40 CAV B Trp
Looks like I'll need to take that front pulley for belt attaching A/C off, potentially why I was missing the mark on there. Preciate ya!

dangertorangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
225/70r14
My credo
1-40 CAV B Trp
Yeah, that plus this:

View attachment 85350

Don't worry about the aux shaft (the middle big one) on a '89 since it just turns the oil pump..., the mark on the cam pulley has a corresponding mark on the plastic inner timing cover conveniently right under the silly rubber dust plug on the outer timing cover...

Don't forget to put thread sealant on the cam bolt no matter what you do, that can be a huge oil leak...

Look at all the cylinder bores while you have it apart like that, any vertical lines in the bore that can catch your fingernail mean the rings/pistons are questionable...
Ahaaa I was wondering what that dust cover was for! Assuming that thread sealant is the same as thread locker maybe just a hi-temp version?
Will do a careful inspection, so far have only shone a flashlight at walls at night to look for weird reflections. Thanks for your time!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No, I think I tried that when I had the engine apart before which is how I know :). Use this stuff, it works good...

dangertorangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
225/70r14
My credo
1-40 CAV B Trp

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals