• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

JuJu's prerunner!

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The guy that I am building my truck has them on his tow rig/DD, they arnt lasting as long as he would like, but it is a deisel so on a lighter truck it would probably do better

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Diesels are Hard on tire!! Even if your really easy on pedal! I may have to steal the 33 wild countrys of my s10 for a while since it hasn't moved in 5yrs.. Hope the flat spots are to bad by now!:icon_rofl:

charlie brown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome truck for a project!!! If you need anything let me know! Parts, kits, advise you name it!
give dave a call. builds some good stuff. i have his parts on the front of my truck and i have pre-runned many off road races in baja with no problems.

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well its been a few months and the budget keeps getting tighter!! But I am on my way to getting an axle built.

I went with a 87 2wd yota axle... I know someone will give me crap for this! But hey they are cheaper to build.. I am installing 4.56 gears and a lateral truss on the back. Yota axles are strong but want to be safe. And if I can locate some rotors I would like to have disc brakes!

Are the 4.56 to much for a 3.0 pushing 33's?
Should I also do a top truss or will the back be enough? The truss will be made from 2x3 3/16 tube.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would go deeper than 4.56. I would get a 4.88 or 5.29

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just got back from my buddies and its looking like my 4.56's are coming with a Detroit True Trac! :yahoo:

He has the set up in his truck. He hates the locker on the rocks and wants to go with 4.88! Think I'm getting the better end of the deal.

So within the next few weeks I will have the beginning of some real suspension!! 4.56's, locker, 63" leafs and shackle flip.. :icon_thumby:

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
And looks like my rear disc set up is going to be sweet!

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Mocking up the mustang brakes to a yota axle!

Last edited:

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got the bed off yesterday! So today I drilled out the rivites that held the rear hangers on. Since it is apart and no one seams to have any "real " numbers on hanger placement vs. ride hight and travel. I played musical hanges!!

Here is what I found:

I took all my measurements in the same place. From the top of the axle to the top of the frame. The numbers are taken from ride hight (minus the box) to full droop (axle and tires)I dont know the info on my syspension, I bought the truck this way! So it my be different on a "stock" truck.

Original ride ....................18 1/4"--21" : 2 3/4" down travel
Shackle flipped.................15 3/4"--20 1/4": 4 1/2 " down travel
Flipped and down 1 hole....16 3/4"--21" : 4 1/4" down travel
Flipped and back 1 hole.....15 3/4"--20" : 4 1/4" down travel (was limited by the hanger so reversing the shackle my get more travel)
**by rotating the stock shackle I got 16 3/4"--22" : 5" down travel! So that is a total gain of 2 1/4" of travel!
Conclusion:
Doing a hanger flip will lower your ride hight by 2 1/2"s, Not the 1 1/2" suggested in most threads I read!
By doing a flip you will gain 2 or more inches of down travel from your rear syspension.:icon_bounceblue:

When I get my chevy springs I will post more numbers!:icon_cheers:

Last edited:

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got some work in today!:yahoo:

:icon_welder:

I still have to get some D rings and install the receiver tube. I ran out of daylight..

Was brain storming ideas for a light rack.. maybe the wife will let me keep buildin..:icon_confused:

91supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
looks like you have a good start here. I'm looking to start tearing mine down after all the snow is gone. Then i can drive the new truck with no fear of salt...lol . Lots of good info. I have a set of chevy springs and also some drop shackles to play with so i will defiantly post up results as they come. Did you ever figure out how much lift your truck came with? The back doesnt look like it had any lift really. Front looks like a good amount ...maybe a 5 or 5.5 coil..?

RangeRansom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I cant believe youre running flipped hangers like that, flip them back over and youll get the desired lift and safety.....that is sketchy dude!!

Other than that, it is a sweet looking truck!!!

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cant believe youre running flipped hangers like that, flip them back over and youll get the desired lift and safety.....that is sketchy dude!!

Other than that, it is a sweet looking truck!!!
Sketchy? Hardly! Flipped shackles are pretty much the first thing you do to a truck when you want more non-binding travel in the back. Not trying to be a turd, I'm just trying to clear that up:icon_thumby:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sketchy? Hardly! Flipped shackles are pretty much the first thing you do to a truck when you want more non-binding travel in the back. Not trying to be a turd, I'm just trying to clear that up:icon_thumby:
Normally flipped shackles are totally fine, hit are bolted on with two tiny bolts and half of the bracket is not touching the frame which is one of the most sketchy things I have ever seen.

OP you NEED to fix that before driving on the road!

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I probably should have looked at the pictures first:D I thought he just put it on upside down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals