• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jeep Wrangler Polar Edition IT'S NOTHING BUY HYPE!

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The Polar Edition takes inspiration from the great outdoors, incorporating Jeep’s four-wheel drive capability as well as new design cues taken from the severe climate and extreme conditions that characterize the Antarctic region.
The Wrangler Polar Edition will feature new exterior details including a new front grille, powerdome hood, and body-color hardtop with deep-tint sunscreen glass. A gloss black Jeep logo above the front grille continues the Polar Edition’s gloss black accents, while a unique decal featuring the outline of mountains graces the hood.

The interior will also get a winterized makeover, including black heated leather seats accented by white stitching and the “Polar” logo embroidered on the backrest. The pearl white stitching is carried throughout the interior, including the steering wheel, door armrests and center console lid. The passenger-side dashboard grab bar and air vents also feature the high-gloss ceramic white finish, said to mimic the effect of the light on Antarctic glaciers.
This is totally useless glitter and a marketing push for profits! They could have saved even more by just putting decals all over the body saying how GREAT they were!!!!.

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Was just reading something about the CEO or whoever saying there was no guarantee the new jeep would have a straight axle...

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
About time they gave up trying to make the d30 seem like it was the most amazing thing ever made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You do have to realize that the majority of people buying new jeeps do not use them for heavy offroading anymore. The vast majority of people that buy them use them as lifted mall cruisers, that never see a dirt road, let alone a trail of any kind. Chrysler isn't going to continue to make a rugged offroad type vehicle to appeal to a niche market when they can aim it at the most profitable market.

It sucks the jeep has gone away from its roots, but its all about money in business and the number one thing is to make money with things that will sell, while spending the least amount of money to do it.

Look at what they did to the Explorer. It used to be a RBV and a very capable offroad 4x4 when set up properly. Look at it now, Ford redesigned it to go after the market that was buying it, and sales couldn't be better.

Also, its the same reason you don't see manual transmissions anymore. They aren't going to continue to make them for a niche market.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Rick has hit the nail on the head.

AJ

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I wish they would put more Manual transmissions in the newer full size trucks, I've only ever seen a couple ever. It's sad that a majority of the population doesn't know how to use a third pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
^^more like pure laziness. Its like trying to buy a car with manual windows and manual door locks its almost impossible anymore, people are just plain lazy.

If they had to shift gears then they couldn't play on their ipod, ipad, iphone, radio, read the newspaper, put on their make-up, curl their hair, blow-dry their hair, etc.

I liked my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was more of the luxury line, but was still very capable offroad and lift kits, lockers, etc. are available for them. I'd take the solid front axle any day a D30 is still a hell of a lot better than IFS. First time I hit a washout rut on a gravel road towing my ATV trailer on the way home from cutting firewood knocked the front end out in my truck. I think the same thing happened with my Bronco 2 after I left the tire shop from the alignment and camber adjustment, it all got knocked right back into being out of alignment thanks to the terrible roads around where I live. Oh well maybe it will get me through winter so I can try and get rid of the damn thing.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
My wife has her Grandpas old 1966 Chevy c10 panel truck.
Its a "3 on the tree" manual transmission.

Pretty good theft deterrent now a days .... young kids dont know how to drive/shift them...and the older people that do... aint into stealing stuff anymore. LOL

My big complaint with ALL NEW vehicles, are there plastic!
Remindes me of the snap togther model kits we had as kids
Plastic everywhere! inside, outside... hell most vehicles now have plastic intake manifolds, valvecovers etc. And I don't care what kind of plastic compound is used..it always goes to crap over time.
Its Going to be hard 30 years from now, for kids to restore todays plastic vehicles.

Also all new vehicles are "packages".... can't get what you want anymore.
I wanted a Ford F150 xlt with the 6.2 Nope sorry..cant get it with a xlt...have to upgrade to a $70,000 platinum king ranch or Harley edition( Never mind its the same damn truck frame etc..)
New Jeep coming out with the diesel motors...cant get it on the base model Cherokee..have to upgrade to the top of the line model super uranium 235 grandsport limited trailhawk.etc.etc..... $60,000 +BS!

I want manual windows, manual transmissions, a rubber floor mat so I can open the doors and hose out. A radio that dont have
bluetooth, sirius or gps. The only button on a Steering wheel i need is the Horn...not something resembling a playstation game controller. I want a newer vehicle built like the old ones! A no BS..plain jane mans truck..made of metal...with any drivetrain combo you could want.

sorry rant off......

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If they had to shift gears then they couldn't play on their ipod, ipad, iphone, radio, read the newspaper, put on their make-up, curl their hair, blow-dry their hair, etc.
Now Bill, that just isn't true. I added a 4th pedal (floor switched high-beams) to my truck and I still do all that stuff while shifting gears and playing with the baby.

My wife has her Grandpas old 1966 Chevy c10 panel truck.
Its a "3 on the tree" manual transmission.

Pretty good theft deterrent now a days .... young kids dont know how to drive/shift them...and the older people that do... aint into stealing stuff anymore. LOL
That is the appeal of older stuff now a days. My grandpa has a 47 New Yorker and when he takes it out places, which is rare anymore, he just leaves the keys in it. He says "if they can figure out how to start it, they can have it."

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Now Bill, that just isn't true. I added a 4th pedal (floor switched high-beams) to my truck and I still do all that stuff while shifting gears and playing with the baby.
I almost forgot about those. Almost put one in my BII when my high/low switch failed on my turn signal last spring.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^more like pure laziness. Its like trying to buy a car with manual windows and manual door locks its almost impossible anymore, people are just plain lazy.

I liked my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was more of the luxury line, but was still very capable offroad and lift kits, lockers, etc. are available for them. I'd take the solid front axle any day a D30 is still a hell of a lot better than IFS. First time I hit a washout rut on a gravel road towing my ATV trailer on the way home from cutting firewood knocked the front end out in my truck. I think the same thing happened with my Bronco 2 after I left the tire shop from the alignment and camber adjustment, it all got knocked right back into being out of alignment thanks to the terrible roads around where I live. Oh well maybe it will get me through winter so I can try and get rid of the damn thing.
I like my automatic dd. I can shift a manual trans fine I just don't prefer it for a dd. I don't have a smartphone, mp3 player (in the truck), or even much hair to play with anymore. I really got burned out on them when I owned one and had to deal with stop and go traffic every day with it in Omaha.

Power windows/doors are nice in a fullsize too, dad is always cussing his manuals in his '04 F-250 because the passenger side controls are nearly impossible to reach from the drivers seat.

I have hit some pretty knarly stuff with both my Ranger and my '02 F-150, so far neither have needed aligned from it. Owned the Ranger for 13 years and the '150 for 8.5. This included what looked like foot deep potholes on I80 through Omaha with multiple hubcaps scattered around them at interstate speeds that you can't see until it is too late.

Also all new vehicles are "packages".... can't get what you want anymore.
I wanted a Ford F150 xlt with the 6.2 Nope sorry..cant get it with a xlt...have to upgrade to a $70,000 platinum king ranch or Harley edition( Never mind its the same damn truck frame etc..)
Actually I think they opened it up for 2014 to get the 6.2 in an XLT. They probably try to limit it somewhat because that thing could tank the fleet average fuel economy for the F-150...

I just can't get that excited about the newer trucks (any breed) vs what I have. They don't get much better milage (certainly not enough to justify a $30-40k truck) and since mine does everything I do fine I don't see a big who hoo to all the better power they have. With 110k it still drives like it did at 25k when I got it... the bigger and bolder than anyone has bolded before look is getting cheesier at every facelift too.

My Ranger radio is bluetooth and Sirius ready, if you don't use it it doesn't bother a thing. You do get Sirius for free on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends which is neat. The rubber mat in it sucks for holding water underneith it, not a big fan. I have a new carpet kit to put in it after I get the 5 speed swapped in.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Times are changing, the market follows what the demand is. As far as seeing manual transmissions in pickups, that will be going away especially with the diesels. An automatic will hold more power and has a lower service factor than a manual. So holds more power and easier on the drivetrain is a no brainer for the industry. Also you are able to create more ratios with an automatic usually in an existing transmission case or a variant of an existing one where a manual you cannot. As for power windows and locks, can't beat them. All the good engines will be in the expensive stuff, it's always been that way.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I almost forgot about those. Almost put one in my BII when my high/low switch failed on my turn signal last spring.
I had one in my olds and my F-250 and loved it. My original dimmer went out right as I was getting ready to swap to an 89 dash harnes so I was pulling all the wires out anyway. It was easier and cheaper. Still not sure why its illegal to retrofit those in tho.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
This is a conversion of a Toyota Hilux for polar exploration, its about the only one you can really buy for it.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is that the top gear truck?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals