• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this motor shot what am I missing?

transplant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok just bought this 07 4 cyl manual 11600 had a small oil leak. Changed the valve cover and rear main still have a small leak. Had bad egr cleaned out port and tube as best as I could replaced egr. Wasn't paying attention oil light all sudden comes on 2 quarts low fill her up, now she burns a quart every week. Compression test 205 204 211 216 1-4 flip 4 looks fouled every time I take out. Did leak down with 2 testers 1st said all were 20-25% second set said 11-18% did both testers twice both in green. Vacuum test was 23" of vacuum 1" above good. When I start her up spots a little oil out tailpipe and as soon as I stomp on it blows out black pile of s#@t. It will smoke gray blue the whole trip home with a nice cloud following me 33 miles each way. I also replaced entire exhaust cat and all 2weeks ago. If it were deals it would smoke as soon as I start and when oil burned off it would stop. It is burning way too much. Replaced off and it is still working, what else am I missing:sad:

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That sounds like a lot for a valve seal but it could be possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

transplant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like someone forgot to put the back ones in. The smoke would go away wouldn't it?

Last edited:

transplant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a oil slime trail from egr tube to the runners. How close is egr passage in back of the head to the oil passages?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Vacuum is good, compression is good

2.3l Duratec has Double overhead cam and 4 valves per cylinder.

Intakes valve guides seals, two of them, on #4 are letting oil flow down the valve stem and into the intake and cylinder when intake valves open, good high vacuum sucks it down pretty good

So take off the valve cover again and have a good look at all the intake valve guide seals, never done a 2.3l Duratec but most valve seals can be changed without removing head, intake cam will need to be removed.

Exhaust valve seals don't tend to suck oil down, there is only lower pressure at these valves at certain RPMs.

Also check and change PCV valve and clean out its hose.
PCV system creates a slight negative pressure in the valve cover area to prevent Blow-by pressure from building up, if PCV system isn't working you get a double whammy of Vacuum sucking oil down valve stem and Blow-by pressure pushing it down the valve stem.

Leak down test check rings and valve seats, but not the guide seals

Now you can start burning oil with bad rings but your compression numbers are too high for bad rings to cause the amount of oil use described

transplant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks I guess valve seals could really burn oil that bad but I guess so.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals