• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this an EGR delete? 2003 FX4 L2

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just bought this truck. It looks like the previous owner did an EGR delete on the 4.0 SOHC engine. Can someone confirm?

Need to figure out if this will cause a problem on PA Emissions when it's due in February. It currently has an emissions exempt sticker on it so the previous owner must've been under the annual 5,000 mile limit for PA. But you also have to have owned the car for the 12 previous months... which will not be the case for me in Feb.

EDIT: Image wouldn't attach... so here's an IMGUR link:

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not all Rangers with the 4.0 SOHC got EGR. Some did, some didn't. They used the same intake, so the non-EGR got a block off plate.

If you are in an OBD-II county and the light is off it will fly.

If you are in a visual county look at the emissions label and the vacuum routing label to see if it came with EGR or not.

If you aren't sure what kind of testing your county does check the listings on drivecleanpa.

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks, I did further searching and found some of your other thread replies on the topic of 2003 Rangers not having an EGR from the factory, except the 2.3L... I suspect it's the case here. No CEL on the dash and I don't see any hanging or taped-off wire harness connectors or vacuum lines. The driver side exhaust manifold appears to have a bolt-looking plug where the recirc tube would normally connect and the surface rust matches suggesting it's been there as long as the manifold.

I'm in Montgomery County, PA... so it's OBD, should be all set.

Thanks!

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For the benefit of anyone that finds this thread in the future, here is a comparison of the I/M Readiness read on my 2002 4.0L with EGR, and the 2003 4.0L without EGR.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals