• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is my ranger an S model??

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 90 longbed, 2.3, 5 speed,rwabs, reg bench seat, rubber floormat, no p/s a/c no power windows or door locks, slider rear window, interval wipers, radio is aftermarket that was in the truck when I got it, steel wheels with hubcaps......

the 88 shortbed I had was an S model...had 2.0, 5 speed,solid back window, no power anything except brakes,rubber floormat, aftermarket wheels and radio.... you could tell it came without a radio because instead of speaker grilles on the dash they were solid metal....... they seem to both be the same basic truck except the interval wipers and sliding back window....sometimes when I look stuff up it asks what trim level the truck is(std,S,XLS,XLT)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well do the badges say "S"? As far as I know all S units were 2.0L.

For the most part trim level has no bearing on parts that you would be buying.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nope...... neither did my 88 and it was an S model...... that was confirmed when I took it in to the ford dealer for an emmisions recall

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have a '92 brochure that states interval wipers are standard on all models, as is RABS (though it's possible it could've changed from '90). The sliding window however was not available (not even optionable). Very possible it was swapped in by a previous owner.
I recall S models also came with no rear bumper, No bed cargo lamp, Full bench seat is vinyl (not cloth or knitted)

"S" models have no exterior designation (fender emblems just say "Ranger").

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine just says ranger on the fender as well...... but it does have a cargo light, so if its true that the S model didnt come with one then mine wouldn't be an S model...... the slider could have been dealer installed or somebody put it in like you said...the bench seat is vinyl

Last edited:

remnutt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 84 S model with V6, auto trans,power brakes, and power steering. It is a short bed.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I almost forgot I have the owners manual that came with my truck..... interval wipers were standard on 90 rangers as well.... rear sliding window was an option also.....mine could be an S or a base model with very few options.... who knows?? I like trucks without all the fancy conveinence options like power windows and door locks, a/c... etc etc.....I have seen rigs with power windows where the windows wont roll down..... with a simple rig there is less to go wrong with it IMO

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My original 88 had a 2.0 with very few options...but it did have cruise control...vinyl bench and solid back window...I eventually put in a slider window and upgraded the radio to a cassette player from my Tempo...and high back buckets...but I never saw any "S" designation on the truck...maybe just a USA thing...but "S" would have meant something to me...slow...it could have been the VS model...very slow...or even the VFS...where the F rhymes with trucking...

Anyway...don't you just love it when you are buying something and they have to go through five or ten questions generated by their computer just to get the part you want? It's more annoying when you find out the part number is the same for most of the variations you had to plod through...and just for fun I ask them to go back and try different answers to see if it comes up with something different...they love me at some stores...lol

Since I've made so many changes to mine I have to stick with the original configuration in most cases but it gets challenging once you start upgrading parts from different years and even more so when you add parts from different models...

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My 96 I have now is the lowest end one could have, vinyl bench seat, visors and floor, no P/S OR A/C. and pretty sure no radio. However, It has Illuminated Entry (when you pull the outside handle and the dome light comes on, and stays on either for 20 seconds or until you turn the ignition to "On"), but only on the driver's side door, does anyone know if that was an option, or was it standard? Side note: vinyl flooring was not that uncommon.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals