• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interchangable transfer cases... need major help!

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so i have the chance to buy a sweet ranger (84, six inch lift, 2 inch body, 35"boggers, rollpan, 2.9 Fm146, locked front and rear) sweet deal for 900 bucks... no nothing is wrong, except for this..

the transfer case is cracked. like a golfball size-hole in it on the top, near the rear where the driveshaft meets the t-case. it's just gone. it's only on the rear plate (there's the front, the main, and the rear). my question is...

will the rear of the transfer case come off without spilling the internal gears and what not???? i will go to the junkyard tomorrow and practice, but a little knowledge could save me dirty and cold fingers (its 10degrees in BUffalo), but i think its worth it..

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

ROb

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just swap the entire transfer case.

It will save you quite a lot of effort separating them, and will almost certainly cost the same. All 1350s are the same, except for the rear yoke, which can be swapped.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i second the complete swap if the case, shouldnt take mroe then 30 mins off and back on, i would check over the front end carefully on that truck, as im pretty sure it still has a d28 in it, they dont like to hold up so check EVERYTHING on the front end of that truck, but even if its fucked up id still get it, the susp lift and tires alone are worth the money

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
While I hesitate to say it's "impossible" to swap off the rear case half of the T-case
with the T-case still bolted to the trans I will say that you are making it unnecissarily difficult on yourself.

AD

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
long story short, buy it, just swap the whole t-case, and worst case scenario u get alot of parts for not alot of money

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah dude the t-case is held on by like 5 bolts and the rear driveshaft bolts. Swap takes less than an hour. 1350s are a dime a dozen anyways, just make sure you get an 87 or older t-case, 88 and up use metric threads and the current bolts wont work in an 88-up t-case, or just grab the bolts when you get it.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Yeah dude the t-case is held on by like 5 bolts and the rear driveshaft bolts. Swap takes less than an hour. 1350s are a dime a dozen anyways, just make sure you get an 87 or older t-case, 88 and up use metric threads and the current bolts wont work in an 88-up t-case, or just grab the bolts when you get it.

No shit? I never knew that!:icon_surprised:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
No shit? I never knew that!:icon_surprised:
True story, I heard it somewhere. Went to do my swap and tried to use an older t-case, my bolts wouldn't work, had to walk a grueling 300 feet to my parts rigs to pull out an 89 t-case instead (love parts rigs) and she bolted right up :icon_bounceblue:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
True story, I heard it somewhere. Went to do my swap and tried to use an older t-case, my bolts wouldn't work, had to walk a grueling 300 feet to my parts rigs to pull out an 89 t-case instead (love parts rigs) and she bolted right up :icon_bounceblue:

300 FEET! How did you ever survive!

:icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals