• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing my new 5.13's in my D35. Help needed!!!

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. I finally got my gears in, and last night I got started on it, but ran in to a few road blocks. I'm totally new to this, but have read the directions multiple times, and done lots of internet searching. Here are my problems/questions.

1: I have my pinion set in with the old crush sleeve, and it's REALLY close to where it needs to be. My pattern looks great on the coast side (in the center both side to side, and top to bottom) but the drive side, is closer to the flank, and a little low. That tells me that the pinion is too high, and needs to go down, but wouldn't that throw off the coast side?

2: The reason I used the old crush sleeve, is because I don't have a good way to hold the yoke to keep it from spinning, therefore cant crush it.... I have the diff up on my work bench, and don't have a vice yet. Anyone know a trick to keep it from spinning without damaging the yoke?

3: At one point I had the pattern looking almost perfect on both sides, but the gears didn't want to turn. You could turn them by hand, but it took quite a bit of strength. When gears are new, is it typical of them to be kind of stiff at first or did I just have the wrong shims on the carrier bearings?

Thanks in advance! Any input will be a huge help:icon_thumby:

-Denny

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
No they should not be hard to turn.

When setting up gears you DONT use the crush sleeve!!!!!!!

The crush sleeve is crushed after the back lash and gear pattern are to spec. Then u crush the sleeve without the carrier in the housing to the correct pinion bearing preload.

Here are the really simplified steps:

1. Set pinion depth with shims. Then run the yoke on without crush sleeve.

2. Place carrier in housing and shim side to side with shims to get correct back lash.

3. At correct back lash check pattern. From said pattern determine if pinion is to close or far away.

4. Repeat 1-3 until back lash and pattern are within spec.

5. With carrier not in housing install crush sleeve and crush to specified preload.

Edit: And to hold the yoke and crush the sleeve. Use a big pipe wrench and a 4 foot cheater bar over the handle of the pipe wrench to hold the yoke. And a 1/2 drive breaker bar with a 4 foot cheater bar to turn the pinion nut. Yourself and two other buddys to help hold/turn everything.

And this is no joke. This is how I have done many crush sleeves, they are a bitch. Just remember when you start to get close to no end play in the bearing go in small increments. It takes time but just a c-hair to much and you have to start all over with a new sleeve.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ugh....this makes me not wanna attempt to install my gears

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, you don't sound like a dick at all. I really appreciate the help, and you are right, I was missing some steps. Probably because I didn't understand the process completely. The writeups, and instructions I've read have been for other setups that weren't crush sleeve, and more of a general how-to type of thing. Or they weren't very detailed. Your input will help out a lot. Now it has me excited to get back to it. I refuse to let this concur me! Ha ha. I don't care if it takes me a week, I'll do it myself. You are the man, thanks! I tried to rep you, but I guess I rep'd you not too long ago, because it wouldn't let me. Ha ha

-Denny

Last edited:

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Glad I could help. If you have any more questions post up and I will try and help.

I remember when I was learning to set up gears. Had a few buddys that knew what they where doing help me with it. Then watched and then helped with a few more. Then did some on my own and then more and more, and now im one of the learned in the subject in my local group.

The first few times around it will take time, but if you are careful you will do it right and get good gear life.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well...........I got it done last night! It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. It turned out perfect. Thanks again for the help bud! Can I buy you a beer (paypal you $10) or something?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well...........I got it done last night! It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. It turned out perfect. Thanks again for the help bud! Can I buy you a beer (paypal you $10) or something?
alright viva, dont you go unsubscribing from this thread, i'm gonna be asking you some questions

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
No thanks, just glad to help. Besides I don't drink anyway.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hey viva, what kind of install kit did you get? i'm lookin at 2 from the bronco graveyard, but i cant decide which to get

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals