• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

information on the Fx4/ looking to buy

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
main concern is how trustworthy are the transmissions. i dont want to sign a loan on one at a dealership with 130xxx to have the transmission go out without a warranty. i know back in the A4ld days they were death traps. so my concern is the 2006 era. i almost got a nice 07 with 69xxx but i got home from the dealership and was going to go back up later that night with a co signer but they called and said they sold it. now im looking at a 2006 and a 2002. the 2006 is an automatic turn switch 4x4 with 136xxx and is up for 9800 but im going to try and talk them down due to blue book price no warranty and a damaged rear bumper. the 2002 is a stick with 163xxx and a manual transfercase and was just dropped from 7990 to 6900. my question is which is the better choice? and also how to i tell if its a level 1 or level 2? i havent seen them in person yet due to distance and dont want to have to look at both to make a decision considering theyre in 2 different directions. im going to guess and say the main way to tell between level 1 and 2 is the fender flares. but anyway which can i trust to be more reliable. about 30xxx miles difference isnt much but it could be highway driven or not. i believe that sticks last longer but not if the previous owner was a clutch dumper. so anyway any advice would be helpful, both trucks are clean and not a spec of rust. thanks in advance!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
In 2002 there was no Level I and II. The 02 FX4 is the equivalent of the Level II though. In 03, Ford started the Level I and level II thing. If that 02 has the manual transfer case (as all 02 FX4s with manual transmissions did), it is the equivalent of a Level II. The later twin sticks were only available in 02 FX4 and 03 FX4 Level II. They are not very common.
The automatics can have problems but the sticks are known for problems with the clutch slave. The 02 4.0 SOHC engine is more likely to have timing chain tensioner guide problems than an 06 4.0 SOHC engine. Then again, I have 180K on my 02 now with no timing chain problems and I know of several that have made it to 300K with no problem.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry if a dumb question but is the FX4 a 4.0L. My dad had a 02 Edge 3.0L that went 350,000 + but needed 2 sets of heads. Both paid for by Ford. Not one issue with the Manual Trans.

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Timing would be something I don't want to worry about when still making payments though. I'm not worried about a clutch slave issue those are typically simple and easy replacements. With how rare the twin sticks are I would much rather get it but the reliability is what I'm worried about. From what I understand every automatic transmission has its kick the bucket date but if you keep a manual maintained properly and treat it right it can last forever. But did Ford change the 4.0 sohc between 2002 and 2006? I thought all the sohc's were the same design?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The 2002 and 2006 4.0 SOHC engines are essentially the same but they did improve the timing chain tensioners. I don't know exactly when that change occurred but each year after 2001 they continually got better. The 2001 model year had a lot of problems with the timing chain tensioners.

As far as I know, all Ranger FX4s came from the factory with the 4.0 SOHC engine. I know of a few that have a 5.0L V8 but they didn't come from the factory that way.

AllBlackBimmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hard to say with trucks with that mileage.
I'd try to pull carfax and look at their service history.
Ford auto trans seem to be hit or miss. Some have great luck, others don't.

Pretty sure all fx4 are 4.0

Is there a specific reason your after a fx4?
I think there are also two levels on the fx4... Level 1 and level 2... Unless it's level 2 it's prob not worth the premium for a fx4.

Not sure what the market in your area is, and buying a 4x4 over the winter doesn't help, but...

3.5 weeks ago I bought my 2004 xlt 4x4 with 68k for $9900... Which I thought was a very very good price...

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I honestly don't know why I'm after the fx4. I know I want a reliable vehicle that can go off road and do it great. But I don't want to spend extra money making it that way. I want a ranger for sure. And the fx4 has the 4:10 ratio I like along with the 31 spline. I want to get a ranger that is off road capable that I don't have to do anything to to get it that way. I've gone through that and this time I want something completely stock. I like the looks of the fx4s like the fender flares and the fully loaded options. From what I understand the fx4 is more durable too. And I want to be able to go straight from the road to the trail with it being my daily driver but also being stock. Nothing extreme just the occasional trail ride with the lady. I've had 3 Rangers and the first one I'm not sure about. It was a 92 and it had the push button 4x4 with the bigger sized tires a 4:10 rear 7.5 axle. I couldn't ever figure out if it was an stx or what but the rear end shot a gear through the cover. And then the second one went out at the same time as the transmission and the front end was ready for a rebuild. 2nd and 3rd also had issues. Needless to say none of them could handle the abuse which wasn't even much. Just bad luck buys I guess. But if you guys could help me figure out a good generation ranger and good package for my liking that would be great.

Mike Tonon

4.0 SOHC has been a good engine, as far as I'm concerned. No issues here, just regular oil changes. Of course, I only have about 43,000 miles on mine, but it's an 07. I guess my favorite Ranger engine is the classic 2.9, but not as reliable though.

And I have the manual in my truck and sometimes I beat it, like when I snow plow. I changed the fluid a few years back, just to hopefully add a little protection from wear.

Check the fluids for level and how clean they are!

-transfer case
-transmission
-differentials
-coolant (I drain and refill mine every 3 1/2 years or so, and refill with 50/50 straight anti-freeze and distilled water)
-oil
-brake fluid
-power steering fluid

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals