• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

infamous 97 4.0 lean codes

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 1997 ranger just starting throwing the p0171/p0174 codes-does ford or any aftermarket company sell a kit of gaskets to solve this issue? Fordparts.com has a couple kits and i would prefer to use ford brand because of the rubber gasket instead of the cork. I also noticed that they have two kits (#9424) for the intake on the 4.0, the window sticker has the date august 1, 1997 so am I right to assume i have the "FROM 11/29/96"? I'd like to get by with just replacing what needs to be done, if anyone knows the actual intake and fule rail gaskets(with part #) that would be a great help. I have seen a lot of info on here about this issue and sorry if this seems redundant but i haven't seen any info on the gasket kits(or if they exist)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well assuming that your issue is genuinely intake gaskets then yes, Ford sells intake gasekts for your truck.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yeah make sure it isn't a vacuum leak around the intake first off. spray some carb/choke cleaner around the intake at various spots including around the brake booster and if the engine revs up, you got a leak... fix the leak.

Now that you have done that and it passes, you do have a 97, and there is a TSB out for the gasket between the fuel rail and lower intake that goes bad and will cause those codes to pop. replace it and you should be good to go. not too horrible of a job, but getting the upper intake off can be fun...I did a write up on it a few years ago. I will post the link to it for you, at least you will get an idea of what you are getting into.

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
And here you go:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94437

wow two years ago to the day...anyhoo, the info in there should have part numbers and everhthing you will need to do all of the gaskets. You won't need to do the valve cover gaskets but if you decide to, once you have the upper intake off you can go a few more steps to do them as well if they are leaking. If you do just your fuel rail gasket, and not the valve cover gaskets or lower intake, it will take you about half of the time and aggravation as doing the valve covers and lower intake as well.

AJ

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A dirty MAF will cause those codes also. Do you run an oiled K&N air filter?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals