• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition key?

Ken Nicholas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2010 xl 4 cylinder plain Jane Ranger. Non power windows. No headlight warning,ect. I have 2 keys one has the top loop broke. Does these keys have a chip? I need an extra key.I can hang up Thank you.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I have a 2010 xl 4 cylinder plain Jane Ranger. Non power windows. No headlight warning,ect. I have 2 keys one has the top loop broke. Does these keys have a chip? I need an extra key.I can hang up Thank you.
I'm relatively sure they do, yes.

You could fix the broken loop bit with some epoxy I bet.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 2010 Ranger with any engine or trim has PATS, passive anti-theft system, so uses "transponder" keys

If you have 2 working keys, and one is not a Clone of the other, then you can ADD a new PATS yourself
Have a locksmith sell you a PATS key and cut it to fit ignition using one of your keys

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**

1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

Wait at least 1 minute before starting and driving vehicle

A locksmith can Clone a working key
Take working key to locksmith, he will READ the transponders Number
He will then WRITE that Number to another transponder key, a blank one
Then cut the key for your lock
PATS doesn't know there are two keys with the same Number, it just reads the Number and compares it to its Programmed key Number list, if a match is found then engine can be started
So its just ONE key as far as PATS is concerned

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Or you could get a blank key cut that will turn the lock cylinder, put the chip key inside the plastic cover around the steering column near the lock cylinder.
This anti-theft crap really annoys me, why would any manufacturer care if their product gets stolen after its sold? Seems more like a marketing gimmick to me.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Or you could get a blank key cut that will turn the lock cylinder, put the chip key inside the plastic cover around the steering column near the lock cylinder.
This anti-theft crap really annoys me, why would any manufacturer care if their product gets stolen after its sold? Seems more like a marketing gimmick to me.
Insurance companies have far too much influence.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals