• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

If you have 4.0L 5-speed, please help

trucksling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello Ranger folks! I've used the excellent info on here a few times, but I finally had to register to see if anyone could help me with my current problem.

I'm helping a buddy with a 5 speed swap. Trying to find a 5 speed ecm/ecu/pcm/whetever is tough. All the write-ups I've found brush this off with "get a ecu for a manual" or "I got a 5-speed computer from a friend". Not helpful.

There's plenty for sale online, but they sell by configuration code. All the links to to Ford sites are at least a decade old and no longer help. I also can't find any straightforward decoder.

So if anyone has a 1997 4.0L 5-speed and could tell me their calibration code, I would be very thankful. It's the sticker a few inches below the striker in the driver's door frame formatted like 7-58H.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I took the hint from a ADSM one of Forum experts, got what I needed from eBay, still have it, even though I sold the truck, ( it was a 93). A lot of people don't even change the PCM when they do the "swap" but the sellers on eBay have cross reference list of years and model numbers. dealers keep asking you for the VIN number of the vehicle you're working on which is impossible because you're doing a swap and would need of course the VIN number from a donor vehicle which few of us have.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
VIN doesn't specify manual or automatic, just engine size and model year

The "calibration" code is specific to the model year, so you would need 1997 4.0l "calibration" code for manual trans, any other model year code wouldn't help

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I look on car parts, which is a junk yard search engine (I attached the link below).

They do all the cross referencing for you after you type in your vehicle particulars.

I've already completed this swap on my 93 Ranger 4.0.

Went from a A4ld to an M5OD, swapped computers, flywheel, starter, wiring, etc....it works perfectly.

http://car-part.com/

Last edited:

trucksling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ahh! Thank you Vincenthdfan!
That link works nice. I was having a hard time even finding a manual trans Ranger anywhere around here.
The search results even show the part number suffix -ACC or -ACB. It's frustrating how long it took me to find this.

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ahh! Thank you Vincenthdfan!
That link works nice. I was having a hard time even finding a manual trans Ranger anywhere around here.
The search results even show the part number suffix -ACC or -ACB. It's frustrating how long it took me to find this.
You're very welcome...always happy to help someone do these kinds of projects.

Let me know if you have more questions on the swap.

GJ123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1997 4.0 5 speed if you still need it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't have to be the exact one to function. I've never had a Ford without a check engine light--well, not since my 1964 Fairlane in highschool.

trucksling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks GJ123! That's exactly what I need to order online. Now I just have to decide if I want to take a chance on a junk yard computer or spend a couple more bucks on rockauto.

As for the CEL, my buddy lives in PA. Which, despite having some of the nastiest jalopies on the road, also has a ridiculous pain of an vehicle inspection system. So I'm trying to save him that headache.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals