• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to de-program (Disable) a keyless entry remote

Calitecas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone

I have a quick question to ask:

Does anyone know how to disable a keyless entry remote for our Rangers?

Back story:

My fathers 03 explorer keyless remotes are broken. After installing a aftermarket alarm system in my 11 Ranger I have the OEM keyless remotes available to use on his 03. I have already programed (1) of my keyless remotes for use on his 03 with no problem. At this point the next step would be to de-program(disable) the keyless remote on my 11 so that the remote only operates on his 03.

Research:

So far I have only been able to find one article online that shows the procedure, http://www.ehow.com/how_7205799_disable-keyless-entry-explorer.html. I have followed the instructions but so far have not been able to disable the remote.

Any suggestions/help would be very much appreciated

Calitecas

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
If you program them on his at the same time, they shouldn't work on yours anymore.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The only way that I know of to remove a remote's RFID tag from the vehicle's memory is to enter and complete programming mode and then NOT use that remote during the programming.

My advice, if you want to have no Ford remotes programmed to the vehicle is to go find one cheap. Someone on craigslist parting a vehicle 98 or newer, a junk yard, etc. Any 98 or newer remote will work. Then program that remote, and only that remote to your truck, and then destroy it.

I will warn you however, in the event that the smart junction box ever has to be replaced the new unit will not come out of factory mode unless 2 remotes are programmed to it. It sets codes, makes the dome light flash, and won't come out of factory mode.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you program them on his at the same time, they shouldn't work on yours anymore.
There is a problem with this idea. It involves faulty logic that I seem to see with a lot of people.

The remote sends out and ID number and a command. If the car recognizes the ID number as valid it obeys the command. If not, it ignores it. You program the remote to the car, not the car to the remote.

Point in case, I have a single remote that is programmed to 9 different vehicles.

Calitecas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
RTG143

Thanks for the reply

I was able to succesfully program (1) of my 11' Ranger keyless remote to the 03' Explorer. As Adsm08 stated, that particular remote now operates both the 03' and the 11' at the same time. Thanks again for your time.

Adsm08

Thanks for the reply

This is how I have tried so far to disable this particular remote (OEM 11'):

Enter vehicle, closed all doors,

Enter Programming mode (off/on x8, 8th stay on, door locks cycle)

Not touch/turn/press anything (Car/Remote) for approximately 30sec

Turn key to off, open door, exit vehicle, depress remote to see if it was disabled

Remote was not disabled

In your opinion, was there a step I had missed?

Calitecas

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You didn't miss anything, Ford did. They never anticipated that someone would want to deprogram a remote without replacing it. Just entering programming mode does not wipe the codes out. It doesn't erase the RFID codes until you program the first new remote, then it wipes out the others.

The reason for this is that the SJB, the module responsible for the remote keyless entry system, gets mad when it has less than two remotes programmed.

I'm thinking there may be a way to wipe out the RFID tags individually with the Ford scan tool, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals