• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do you break off a lug nut

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had a tire shop try to insist that they properly torque all lug nuts after 3 studs on the same wheel sheared and the remaining lug nuts on both back wheels required me to jump on a 3’ cheater pipe on a breaker bar on my F-150. I was not at all happy, especially because the shop was supposed to mount the tires on the set of rims that were in the bed and put the tires and rims back in the bed, not on the truck for me because I specifically wanted to avoid this problem.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I had a tire shop try to insist that they properly torque all lug nuts after 3 studs on the same wheel sheared and the remaining lug nuts on both back wheels required me to jump on a 3’ cheater pipe on a breaker bar on my F-150. I was not at all happy, especially because the shop was supposed to mount the tires on the set of rims that were in the bed and put the tires and rims back in the bed, not on the truck for me because I specifically wanted to avoid this problem.
Been there! They did it even after I specifically asked them to NOT use an impact gun and to use a proper torque wrench. They paid for the repair because I checked the lug nuts as soon as I got home and turned right around and went back to the garage.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Its really hard to request any details these days. Hardly anyone has the attention span or memory to do anything beyond standard operating procedure. Or you happen to get the hungover guy having an off day at an otherwise good tire shop. I've been that guy before, on both sides lol.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Sometimes its the engineers fault. My F150 came w/ those nonsense sleeved lug nuts, which I swapped and tossed. The steel wheels on my Fusion is known for snapping wheel studs, and cutting valve stems...which I keep a supply of studs, lug nuts and stems now, the latter which is the not so common sensor type. Luckily I have a good tire guy in the neighborhood.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What I have done before to remove wheels in this type of situation is cut the nut on all sides with a dremel cut off wheel if room is tight or use a regular 3" electric cut off wheel tool. I keep used wheels only an inch or so across just for cutting off lug nuts in close quarters. Cut almost to the thread in 4-6 spots. if you do it correctly you will see the lug not actually snap or loosen on the stud.

Then I can usually rotate with an air hammer or even split the nut off. If doing it by hand, I would then try one of the above mentioned lug nut tools. Though with a hammer and drift (think nail setter or punch) you should be able to rotate the lug.

As for the electric dremel, you are going to break disks and you are probably going to use a package of discs of 1" ones, it will take a while, but, it is 100% possible to use the dremel discs because I have done it in the past when I wanted to save the stud or wheel itself.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I've cut a lot of 1/4" thick steel with a dremel, the trick is go easy and keep the angle true, gotta keep the disc straight.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got this lil tire shop in town.. 3 old men 2 Jacks 1 impact.. they'll do 4 tires mount and balance in 20 minutes, they spin the lugs on with the gun till one ugha Dugga and use a 4-way to hand tighten all the lugs, while talking trash to eachother the whole time, so service and entertainment!!! I love the south!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals