• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Helpppp cooling system problems

GKERR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 Flex 4x4 Super Cab

I recently replaced my thermostat and radiator cap because i was having an issue losing heat in the cab. The temperature gauge on my truck would warm up and then go to cold and then warm up to "normal" again. I flushed the coolant,radiator and heat. the problem was solved for about a day.

now, the truck will warm up to "normal" and the heat will work fine for about 10 minutes. the temp gauge will then drop to C for about 10 minutes only to rise back to "normal" with the cab heat returning eventually. I have also noticed that the coolant is being stored in the reservoir and not returning to the radiator.

I have filled the truck coolant and burped the system numerous times. The problem keeps reoccurring.

the oil and tranny fluid are both perfect and the truck is not smoking at all.

any ideas or solutions will help!!!:beer:

GKERR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The thermostat i used was not a motorcraft, just some replacement.. Just saying!!! Thanks everyone in advance!!!

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have/had the exact same problem. The tank filling, I fixed with a new cap. I also changed the thermostat and upper hose (probably not needed).

Two things can keep the coolant from returning to the radiator. A bad hose between the overflow outlet on the rad and the overflow tank can cause this. I guess the overflow outlet or the rad or tank could be cracked; but, probably not. Or a bad rad cap. I heard a bit of wisdom the other day. A new part is not necessarily a good part. It is an untested part.

As far as your gauge drifting back and forth. If you figure this out let me know. Mine does the same thing. I believe it could be wires, sending unit or the gauge itself. I just don't see the engine temperature changing that fast and it was doing it before I changed the stat.

Ed

GKERR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well hopefully we can figure this out!!!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did the stat you use have a bleeder.
Mg 2.5 Lima temp gauge would drift when the coolant was low. If I revved the engine the coolant would get flushed over the sensor and the gauge would drift higher. When the system was full and burped it did not happen

Last edited:

GKERR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure. If that is the hole in it then yes

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My '94 4.0l had a partially blocked heater core, on this model the heater core is part of the by-pass system so it would cause temp gauge to go high and back to "normal", not overheating just higher and then down, was random as well, going uphill or down hill didn't matter, idle or high RPM didn't matter.
Heat blew warm all the time but never hot.
New heater core($28) and all was well.

If you have a by-pass on the heater hoses in the engine compartment this wouldn't be the issue, but the by-pass valve could be.

Hot and cold heater core usually means air in the system, it forms an air lock in the heater hose so stops flow to core, it will eventually clear, so flow resumes, then reforms if air can not be purged into overflow tank.

This air can come from a leak in the system or cracked overflow hose; when engine cools down it sucks air back in instead of coolant from overflow tank.

Or it can come from a cracked head or leaking head gasket, they start off small, so you won't always see the "white smoke" or bubbling overflow tank.

But higher than normal level in overflow tank can be a sign of cylinder head leak into cooling system.
Cylinder has 600+ psi so a small leak will push exhaust gasses into 16 psi cooling system, so "air" gets pushed in and coolant pushed out, into overflow, raising its level, this air can also stop flow to heater core.

Last edited:

GKERR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My '94 4.0l had a partially blocked heater core, on this model the heater core is part of the by-pass system so it would cause temp gauge to go high and back to "normal", not overheating just higher and then down, was random as well, going uphill or down hill didn't matter, idle or high RPM didn't matter.
Heat blew warm all the time but never hot.
New heater core($28) and all was well.

If you have a by-pass on the heater hoses in the engine compartment this wouldn't be the issue, but the by-pass valve could be.

Hot and cold heater core usually means air in the system, it forms an air lock in the heater hose so stops flow to core, it will eventually clear, so flow resumes, then reforms if air can not be purged into overflow tank.

This air can come from a leak in the system or cracked overflow hose; when engine cools down it sucks air back in instead of coolant from overflow tank.

Or it can come from a cracked head or leaking head gasket, they start off small, so you won't always see the "white smoke" or bubbling overflow tank.

But higher than normal level in overflow tank can be a sign of cylinder head leak into cooling system.
Cylinder has 600+ psi so a small leak will push exhaust gasses into 16 psi cooling system, so "air" gets pushed in and coolant pushed out, into overflow, raising its level, this air can also stop flow to heater core.
I think im going to run a pressure test this weekend.. I hope its not a head gasket.. The exhaust looks normal, a little smokey but. I have an exhaust it doesnt look like a head gasket...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can always do a Glove Test, quick and easy method to see if there is a cylinder to cooling system leak.

Full overflow and cold heater is often the first sign that type of leak,

If engine has recently been overheated that is what starts the leak, head expands too much from the extra heat and cracks or crushes the head gasket seal.

Hopefully it's just air in the system from bad purge, or a bad by-pass valve.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals