• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help ! Have to rev. engine to go into drive.94 Ranger

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
Help ! Have to rev. engine to go into drive.94 Ranger UPDATE 11/13/12

Recently my wifes 1994 Ranger STX 4.0 A4LD 4X4 started giving us fits. Reverse works fine. But when you put it into drive it just sits there, haven't seen if it will eventually go into gear but if you rev the engine (popping the throttle) up a ways 2500 to 3000 it will drop into drive and work just like it supposed to. But if you shift into reverse or park when you go back into drive it happens all over again, nothing till you pop the throttle again. When it goes into gear it doesn't Slam but goes normally. I've done a fluid and filter change, fluid was Nice and red with a few fuzzies on the magnet. Problem still there. Any questions , just ask I'll try to help. ...cougar...

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like a sticky valve valve in the body. You get it revved up, you get the pressure built up, and then it pops the valve over and starts working. Take it out of drive, the spring returns the valve, and the whole thing starts all over.

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
adsm08 ; Hope that's all it is as I can't afford to do a rebuild. I took the valve body out today. I am noticing some grunge in the valves. But while cleaning it I had 1 "L" shaped pin and 1 "square" plate fall out that I don't know where they came from. I'll have to go to the local library to download the manual (to a jump drive) found here at "TRS" and also print out a picture I found of the valve body so Maybe I can locate where these 2 parts went. Can't do that here at home because I don't have a printer (functioning anyway) and I'm on "dial-up" so downloading the manual is out of the question. Thanks for your responce, ...cougar...

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
As long as you don't shift out of drive it works fine not matter what correct? It might be a sticking valve. If it acts up at all other than between manual shifts it won't be sticky valves but more likely the forward clutch seals leaking, worn servo, or bad modulator. Sure there are more problem areas too but those are common.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Also, check to see if you have the vaccum diaphram on top of the transmission. That's what was wrong with my A4LD. The diaphram AND the vacuum line were both shot.

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
blinker ; I'll have a look at that next time I crawl under it,LOL. Right now I'm trying to find a replacement gasket that goes between the valve body and the transmission main body. Hopefully I can just find the gasket without buying a whole rebuild kit ($130) or a shift-kit. Having to use "dial-up" makes most things on the net a PITA ! But anyways Thanks for the tip ! ...cougar...

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
WOW ! Hey Earl43P ; Man thanks for that link !! Not only did it show me where to put the "L" pins it also answered a question that threw me about the spring on the "Cutback" valve. When I took my valve body apart there was no spring there even though it was shown in this diagram, https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=A4LD/4R44E/4R55E/5R55E&Schematic=8 . But in the thread you linked to he states that in the Factory there is No spring there, WHEW !!! Heck I may have this thing back on the road in the next few days ! Weather permitting of course, since I'm outside laying on the ground and it hasn't been real nice the last few days,LOL ! Thanks again for everybodies help, as I'm also checking out the things mentioned. ...cougar...

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
Well here is an update. Pulled the valve body. The VB did have some grunge in it, so I dismantled it and thoroughly (seriously, you could Eat off it) !! Got the new gasket needed reassembled it (all pucks,springs,L-pins,ETC...) back in place ! Again, Thanks Earl43P for the link on the shift kit thread !! Even though I wasn't installing a shift kit the thread was Excellent for showing where everything went.
Now on with the results ! Not good ! Now it won't engage completely and there is a whurring noise. By "Not" engaging it's like a standard that you were slipping the clutch. Now it will barely pull itself on the flat. Aarggghhh !!!!! Anybody have any other ideas ! Got to get HER Ranger going so I can have MY Ranger back !!! Thanks, ...cougar...

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
replace the modulator for the $10 it costs, thats what was wrong with mine when mine was auto. i was sucking the atf thru the modulator into the intake manifold, had to rev the piss out of it every day to get it to move.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ZMan
    Forum Staff Member

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals