• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heating Q

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
What is it about my truck that it takes forever to warm up? My needle never gets up to what the normal temperature should be. I could drive the truck for 2 hours and I would only get a bit passed the C in the dash. The heater works, but it doesn't feel like it works to its fullest potential and the only way to start getting warm air is to run the truck. Is this how all 2.3's work? In the summer, the truck has no problem rising to the normal range with the Texas Heat. Is there anything I can check? Or is this how every 2.3 works? I currently have a 95 Ranger XLT 2.3 Manual Tranns.

About 3 weeks ago, we had below freezing temp here in Texas (Mid 20's). It took me about 20 minutes to get the truck to start blowing a bit of warm air, but not warm enough. I started to run and I got the air to warm up, but after getting stuck at a RR crossing for 20 minutes, the warm air disappeared and the truck started to blow colder air. I have said to myself in the past, "No Big Deal" But this really pissed me off. Especially after my friends corolla gets warm air within a minute and very hot after 2. Anyone wants to lead me off in the right direction? Maybe a new truck? hahaha, I wouldn't go that far.

(EDIT; sorry for being a jackass, but just checked below my post and saw the same problem reported for an 89. I am going to check the same things, So where can I find these hoses? I know replacing the heater core is a BEECH on these)

Last edited:

schlutzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yep 2.3's are notorious for never warming up.

Block off part of your rad and itll help. your heat will be nicer too. I block my whole rad but thats when im down to -25c in the winter lol.

My truck was ALOT worse before a coolant flush.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your thermostat could be stuck in the open position.

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
thats what I thought about mine it basicly never warmed up so I changed the T'stat and I still don't get heat for a while :annoyed:
the warmest mines gotten was 160-170ish with a mechanical gauge thats warm enought to defrost the winshield but it fogs up my side and rear windows.
gotta love cold blooded engines :thefinger:

vinnie07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Inline 4
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem with my 97 Ranger. It was really cold where I live at the beginning of the year and my truck would always warm up to the normal range on the temp gauge. Now I can barely get it to warm up to the bottom of normal range. I've noticed when I speed up from a stop the coolant temp will go down. Until I come to a stop again, then it will go back up. I did a fast start and had the same issue. Heat blows warm. I replaced the thermostat 3 years ago, so I'm doubting that is the problem, but not ruling it out yet.

I'm suspecting my fan clutch is stuck on. My thought (please correct me if I'm wrong) the fan clutch has a thermostat in it so when the engine is cold, the fan spins slower than the water pump pulley, so the coolant gets a chance to warm up. Once the engine heats up the fan spins faster. I think mine is always spinning with the water pump pulley, keeping the coolant temp near the bottom of the normal range.

Any ideas...?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had the same issue with my truck.it took me a while to solve it. I would suggest getting a good new rad cap. I used a Stant You have to make sure your coolant is full. If that does not work I would put in a new MOTARCRAFT tstat. I would only use a MOTORCRAFT. To the poster that was barely getting any heat I bet your tstat is stuck open especially if you engine I'd not warming up. I would put a new MOTORCRAFT. Tstat in. This the part # I used F8CZ-8575-AA. I am not sure if it is the same for your trucks. Try those ideas and let us know what happens. Did I mention to use a MOYORCRAFT TSTAT AND TO MAKE SURE THE COOLANT IS FILLED :).

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the fan clutch theary I guess it is possible. But the way I look at it is the fan is mostly for cooling of the coolant and if the tstat is working ptoperly and the coolant system is under pressure then it should get up to 192 degrees. Our issue seems to be getting the engine up to 192 so the rad and fan can do its job.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have that problem with my car, since I have a trouble code up I'm guessing I have a bad thermostat. You could look into changing out yours and see if it helps, for a ten dollar part why not?

Another thing you could try is what some of the other posts say, block off your radiator a bit. I see people around here that do that all the time. I guess it works.

It's always taken my truck and my car about that amount of time to get "warm" in that type of weather, it could just be normal.

vinnie07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Inline 4
Transmission
Manual
Coolant is filled up and was flushed a few years ago. I've been reading other posts saying to check my coolant sending unit. I've read to block the radiator off completely and see if the temp runs into the normal range. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Any one know where the temp sending unit is on the 2.3 I4? Do you have to drain the coolant to replace it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals