• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head gasket help

Joseph6o4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok so new to the ranger world I have posted befor about crack head… I now have new head and all the parts to replace driver side head on my 08 4.0 sohc

what I’m concerned about is timing I have the tools so dojust attach the tdc tool to crank then pull the head??? And use the Cam tools one at back and front to time it once in????
Concerns about balance shaft??? Will that be tdc with crank l??? Sorry for the basic questions to most of you but terrified about ruining this motor and way too broke to get a shop to as everywhere around me wants 2400$ without parts 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ can someone lead me in the right direction

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All good questions man, and all good concerns. I can't tell you much but I'm sure you will get all you need in time, it's best not to rush anyway. Good luck with it :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2008 4.0l SOHC most likely won't have a Balancer shaft but in any case its timed directly to crank so won't be effected by re-timing Cams

There is a 4.0l SOHC timing tool kit, often seen for sale on ebay since people just use them once and then sell them, and then you do the same

Balancer shaft was add to 4x4 4.0l SOHC when Rangers were switched to Live Axle(2001), the engineers thought the always spinning front drive shaft may cause a vibration, so added a balancer shaft in the engine
It didn't cause a vibration so.................it was dropped in mid-2000's

Joseph6o4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes I got the tool kit for timing I was just concerned about the timing as I know the balance shaft isn’t a 1-1 ratio with crank but if your correct that it most likely don’t have one and isn’t a issue if it did makes me more confident…
Haven’t found good write up yet
So should I put the crank timing tool on bring to tdc then pull the head..?

and for reinstall should I put the cam tools on befor installation??
sory for the rash basic questions but i do know it’s an interference motor and don’t want to hoop it haha

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I suggest you go on youtube and watch the videos on the 4.0 SOHC timing chain videos by Ford Tech Maku Loco. While it’s the entire procedure for both sides from start to finish, they will answer a lot of questions for you and give you a visual on everything.

The plus side, since you are only doing the driver’s side, you won’t need to pull the engine.

I have the 2011, so there might be some differences but I have the service manuals for it and will be happy to give you the torque specs and what not that you need but I strongly recommend watching those videos first, take notes, and come back with whatever questions you have left.

Joseph6o4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I suggest you go on youtube and watch the videos on the 4.0 SOHC timing chain videos by Ford Tech Maku Loco. While it’s the entire procedure for both sides from start to finish, they will answer a lot of questions for you and give you a visual on everything.

The plus side, since you are only doing the driver’s side, you won’t need to pull the engine.

I have the 2011, so there might be some differences but I have the service manuals for it and will be happy to give you the torque specs and what not that you need but I strongly recommend watching those videos first, take notes, and come back with whatever questions you have left.
I am goi g to watch those today thanks so much and yes if you can get me torque specs from the book that been sweet I been looking them up online and have seen many different number witch made me loose faith in them haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals