• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ground up build on a 88 Ranger F150 drivetrain swap

Lambertw26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I'm getting an 88 Ranger like my first vehicle with a great body but is 2wd and want to swap to a 4wd. The truck is now an automatic but want to make it a manual 4x4 with a manual transfer case. I am looking at around a 95 model or so F150 with a 5.0 for a donor vehicle but need a little guidance as I have searched but can't find the answer. I know the motor will swap over but am worried about the axels. I know they are wider than stock but what has everyone done in that case? leave them wide or go with explorer axels? I don't necessarily think wider would be bad but what about adding a lift and matching everything up with the Ranger frame? What type of lift should I go with If swapping from an F150 or explorer to a ranger? Wanting to go 35's... TIA for the help
IMG_9581.jpeg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

F-150 drive train wouldn't be best option
You will need to switch over the front accessories to the "short" version, i.e. water pump, crank pulley and brackets
Also the manual trans shifter will come up under the dash, which can be used with custom bent shifter arm
But you CAN DO IT

Reason the Explorer V8, 1996-2001, were good to swap is because they have the short front accessories

F-150 axles would be too wide
Find a 1990-1992 4.0l Ranger 4x4 with 8.8" rear axle(limited slip if possible) and Dana 35 front axle
But 1993-2009 Ranger will also work, only 1" wider on each side
These are plug and play, spring perches are at the same place 1983 thru 2011
8.8" and Dana 35 are heavy duty enough for V8 power under 300HP, Mustang V8s used the 8.8"

1983-1992 Rangers used 56.5" axle width
1993 to 2011 Rangers used 58.5"
F-150s were 65" in most years, so quite a bit wider, 4"+ inches on each side

4x4 Rangers used a boxed frame up front, 2WD didn't
So 4WD Ranger was NOT just a "bolt on option", it started with a different 4x4 frame
So there will be no cross-over "holes" on a 2WD frame to align and bolt on the 4WD front axle, you will need measure and drill and weld to install front axle

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If I were to start from scratch with those plans I don't think you can harvest everything from one vehicle and keep it clean without big fender flares and the axles sticking way out... a fuel injected 302 would be nice but nothing they came in had a front axle or transfer case that fits in without major work... a TTB D44 can be done like in that era F150 but is wider as noted and the suspension pivot points would have to be located from scratch...

If you are set on a 302 and can do some fabrication like Ron said the Explorer is a good donor for engine, trans and wiring (stick with '96-97 to avoid PATS), the rear axle will also be a disc brake 31 spline 8.8" as well, fairly easy swap... for transfer case you can get a manual transfer case from a '97-03? F150 and it will bolt to the Explrer's 4R70W Transmission, the manual transmission from a V6 F150 of similar vintage is supposed to fit as well with the shifter in a better spot... Front axle options suck for on a budget, the easy route is a Dana 30 from a Jeep to keep the same bolt pattern wheels but there's other options too...

Lambertw26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

F-150 drive train wouldn't be best option
You will need to switch over the front accessories to the "short" version, i.e. water pump, crank pulley and brackets
Also the manual trans shifter will come up under the dash, which can be used with custom bent shifter arm
But you CAN DO IT

Reason the Explorer V8, 1996-2001, were good to swap is because they have the short front accessories

F-150 axles would be too wide
Find a 1990-1992 4.0l Ranger 4x4 with 8.8" rear axle(limited slip if possible) and Dana 35 front axle
But 1993-2009 Ranger will also work, only 1" wider on each side
These are plug and play, spring perches are at the same place 1983 thru 2011
8.8" and Dana 35 are heavy duty enough for V8 power under 300HP, Mustang V8s used the 8.8"

1983-1992 Rangers used 56.5" axle width
1993 to 2011 Rangers used 58.5"
F-150s were 65" in most years, so quite a bit wider, 4"+ inches on each side

4x4 Rangers used a boxed frame up front, 2WD didn't
So 4WD Ranger was NOT just a "bolt on option", it started with a different 4x4 frame
So there will be no cross-over "holes" on a 2WD frame to align and bolt on the 4WD front axle, you will need measure and drill and weld to install front axle
Thanks for the help. Lots of good info there. What would you choose for a manual transmission and transfer case if you wanted the 5.0.

Lambertw26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If I were to start from scratch with those plans I don't think you can harvest everything from one vehicle and keep it clean without big fender flares and the axles sticking way out... a fuel injected 302 would be nice but nothing they came in had a front axle or transfer case that fits in without major work... a TTB D44 can be done like in that era F150 but is wider as noted and the suspension pivot points would have to be located from scratch...

If you are set on a 302 and can do some fabrication like Ron said the Explorer is a good donor for engine, trans and wiring (stick with '96-97 to avoid PATS), the rear axle will also be a disc brake 31 spline 8.8" as well, fairly easy swap... for transfer case you can get a manual transfer case from a '97-03? F150 and it will bolt to the Explrer's 4R70W Transmission, the manual transmission from a V6 F150 of similar vintage is supposed to fit as well with the shifter in a better spot... Front axle options suck for on a budget, the easy route is a Dana 30 from a Jeep to keep the same bolt pattern wheels but there's other options too...
Thanks for the reply. There are a lot of options out there and I’m hoping to do it right the first time…. If you were to use the Dana 30 how would you pick a lift? Are they universal across that axel?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like they've both checked out for now Lambert. Welcome to TRS :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help. Lots of good info there. What would you choose for a manual transmission and transfer case if you wanted the 5.0.
1997-2004 M5OD-R2 trans and BW4406 transfer case from a F-150 4.2l V6 will bolt to a 302/5.0l block, and shifter comes up at the same place as Rangers M5OD-R1
The R2 is the heavier duty V8 trans used in Full Size Ford trucks

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Thanks for the reply. There are a lot of options out there and I’m hoping to do it right the first time…. If you were to use the Dana 30 how would you pick a lift? Are they universal across that axel?
The only bolt on lift and axle stuff for a Dana 30 is from James Duff, I think they make a kit, everything else is custom so there's no "lift" about it, it's designing it to be what you need... For the record I plan on putting a Dana 44/50 hybrid axle in my 5.0L explorer on 36-37" tires, but it's not going to be a clean street friendly setup, mainly for wheeling...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals