• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good source for new or rebuilt carbs?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Or a mustang Mach E
You know what the only real problem I have with the Mustang Mach E is?

That they're calling a 4 door car a Mustang. What review board approved this nonsense?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wont lie. I did seriously consider EFI on it just "for fun" persay. Till i seen the prices. Athough i did find a complete, used, holley 2bbl tbi "projection" set on ebay for 200 bucks. But ive never had issues with running a carb and this truck is just going to be a sometimes driver/work truck and the expense of EFI isnt worth it....espicially with as well as a good 2150 will work in the cold.

However when i get my LTD back out and start working on it i think i might seriously consider jumping ship....just for shits and giggles.
They are out of stock everywhere right now but reman snipers are listed for $800. FiTech is about in that area too.

I poked around at running a GM TBI, it seems by the time you get all the parts and either a chip or mega/micro squirt it you are at about the same price as a sealed self learning kit.

You know what the only real problem I have with the Mustang Mach E is?

That they're calling a 4 door car a Mustang. What review board approved this nonsense?
Probably the same ones that thought it should be called a Mach 1 when they announced it in Detroit. I bet they got a lot of fan mail over that...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
At least when they unveiled the idea in Detroit they were still pretending it was a normal Mustang body. You can make an electric Mustang fast, so why not use the Mach 1 badging if it's got the goods underneath? I realize it's going to be hard to muscle it around a track as well as a gasser because of the added weight, but straight line acceleration could be solid.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At least when they unveiled the idea in Detroit they were still pretending it was a normal Mustang body. You can make an electric Mustang fast, so why not use the Mach 1 badging if it's got the goods underneath? I realize it's going to be hard to muscle it around a track as well as a gasser because of the added weight, but straight line acceleration could be solid.
It wasn't going to be Mustang, just Mach 1 was my understanding.

Mach 1 probably should be left to the regular Mustangs for the time being along with Boss 302 and Bullitt IMO. Mach E would have been very fitting paying homage to history and the future at the same time... if it was actually anything like a Mustang.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You might be right about that - I don't remember it that clearly.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
They are out of stock everywhere right now but reman snipers are listed for $800. FiTech is about in that area too.

I poked around at running a GM TBI, it seems by the time you get all the parts and either a chip or mega/micro squirt it you are at about the same price as a sealed self learning kit.

Probably the same ones that thought it should be called a Mach 1 when they announced it in Detroit. I bet they got a lot of fan mail over that...

Still alot of money. When i can buy a edelbrock carb and intake for just over half that.

I dont know....it might happen on my LTD. Probably not on my 77 F250.

Digging into the issues i had with rusty kinda made me a bit more interested to learn more about how EFI works even if EEC IV is a primitive 35 yr old system.

It was a massive headache....but kinda fun at the same time.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
When I am already more than doubling the hp what is another 5hp? My research at the time turned up that the Edelbrock was better offroad and at holding a tune than a standard Holley, and basically has a tub to hold the fuel with no gaskets to leak fuel. Rusty nailed it, I wanted a daily driver type setup with good torque as I will never race it. Since then I have done way more with the truck than I ever thought I would and it just takes it in stride.

IIRC the stock 4bbl for a 5.0HO is around 480cfm (starting out mine was a "standard" roller engine" I don't think Holley makes a 4bbl close to that aside from the 470cfm truck avenger. Most are around 600 which IMO is huge for a stockish engine especially the 150hp weezer I started out with. With the 500cfm Edelbrock that I have it is set down a little, even now with an HO cam and E7 heads it has plenty of capacity to throw more fuel if needed.

Everything I do with the truck, it toys with it. Shuttle wagons around, hauling around my slide in camper, drive heavily loaded across four states... the old half wore out 302 doesn't care.

If I wanted peak power... I wouldn't be dinking with a carb period. I am not opposed to a Holley... but if I get one it will be a Sniper.
I used a Holley 600 cfm on the mild 302 I stuck in my 81 Cougar and it liked it fine, at first I had a 390 cfm on it but it had better throttle response with the 600 and the gas mileage didn't change. The 2 barrel on a lot of 302's flowed about 300 cfm just like the primaries on a 600 Holley. Ford used to put 480 cfm Autolite 4100's on 390's and a 428 SCJ only got 715 cfm, both responded well to bigger carbs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals