• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

good blocks?

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would just get that cobra engine off your dad and be done with it, might as well put it to use, sitting for how long? I know alot of money was out into it but its money sitting there rotting slowly.

Me I would do the 2.3 Turbo rought, I've heard they can kick a 5.0's ass if built right and still get good milage.
ok so the cobra v8 is not my dads its owned by my boss. (who owns all the cars my dad restos)
and hes not selling it hes putting it into the elanor clone which just got done body work and the reason things are slow is because hes not doing one car at a time hes doin like 8 and he also runs a cabinetry business (where i work)
and funding all that can be pricy eh?

and the 2.3 turbo?
ok they can beat a STOCK 5.0 but a 331 stroker? unlikely.
also, the turbo setup and injection stuff is beyond my fab capability or id consider it

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so curious do i need a dual sump pan or will a rear sump do?

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
and the 2.3 turbo?
ok they can beat a STOCK 5.0 but a 331 stroker? unlikely.
also, the turbo setup and injection stuff is beyond my fab capability or id consider it
the 2.3 t is not as bad as you think stock motor with just some rod and head bolts kicks the low 12s like no other... with your stock trans and wiring... not trying to talk you out of it but just tellin your options... their not as hard to do as you realize... aftere i got my motor put together it took me a day and a half to get it on the road... its a little cheaper depending on the parts you use to build too and i still get right at 29 mpgs un tuned

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 2.3 t is not as bad as you think stock motor with just some rod and head bolts kicks the low 12s like no other... with your stock trans and wiring... not trying to talk you out of it but just tellin your options... their not as hard to do as you realize... aftere i got my motor put together it took me a day and a half to get it on the road... its a little cheaper depending on the parts you use to build too and i still get right at 29 mpgs un tuned
thanks with the info but im stickin with the v8 for now. maybe in the future

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

stangdroptop351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
take it from me i had both a 2wd & a 4x4 ranger & put 3 306's(302 bored out .030 over) and blew them up, im a 351w guy if u want to smoke a big block get a 1996 ford ho 351 roller motor out of a f250 or a van e150 and bore it out .030 over & get forged pistons,afr heads with a victor jr intake,a good cam, long tube headers,1.6 ratio roller rockers,& top it off with a barry grant 650 speed demon carb, get a 3800 stall converter & good nite big block, & if you wana go more radical get a eagle 427 stroker kit :)

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
moly grease?
can u keep the lubricants limited to stuff i can get at can tire?
lol what are brand names for moly grease?
or is moly a brand.. oh the confusion u people cause me lol
and thanks for your input
You can buy moly grease anywhere. "Moly" is short for Molybdenum Disulphide. Which is a greasy dark grey mineral, very similar to Graphite. When used in lubricants, it improves the lubricity of the grease and protects the metals. When used in steel making, it greatly improves the steel's strength. It comes in many types of greases, I like the black stuff. :icon_thumby:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
take it from me i had both a 2wd & a 4x4 ranger & put 3 306's(302 bored out .030 over) and blew them up, im a 351w guy if u want to smoke a big block get a 1996 ford ho 351 roller motor out of a f250 or a van e150 and bore it out .030 over & get forged pistons,afr heads with a victor jr intake,a good cam, long tube headers,1.6 ratio roller rockers,& top it off with a barry grant 650 speed demon carb, get a 3800 stall converter & good nite big block, & if you wana go more radical get a eagle 427 stroker kit :)
:icon_rofl:If you blew up 3 302's,:icon_confused: then it's just a matter of time before the 351 goes Kaboom too. :icon_rofl:

fordman4x492

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.oh 3oh2 v8
Transmission
Automatic
ok dude chill isn't the first time someones come and put some post thinking they know what theyre talkin about and looked stupid in front of those who do.
how about instead of starting an arguement we educate the guy.
the engines ur referring to are simply 5.0's (which have roller cams)
ur correct in saying they are more powerful and they started in 86.
however not all 5.0s are HO
im not gona pretend i know but if anyone knows of a database of HO 302's that might help. perhaps reading over the stickys and googleing before we make un eduacated posts ok?
IF ANYONE STARTS A FLAMY FRIKKEN ARGUEMENT ON MY THREAD ILL BEAT U WITH A STICK!
ok i wont do that but ill let a mod know so u can be booted fools
so what you are trying to say is that if i go pull a 302 out of a 95 f150 its gonna have a roller cam?

and whut i said about the 302 h.o. is what i was told by people who build and race mustangs i didnt just make it up or something alright. my bad if i made a mistake but nobodys perfect.

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Get a 460. Alot of hp and the big block motor will give alot of power and wont break. Here are some good things to read.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

425-450HP 460ci

Intake System:

750cfm Holley DP professionally calibrated for your application
Edelbrock Performer Rpm Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

D0VE head with mild port job, chambers polished, and port match
(315-ish/180-ish cfm @.600)
Intake valve size 2.08
Exhaust valve size 1.65
Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam Custom Spec Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent
Based on the Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Series
Intake Lobe 5443 and Exhaust Lobe 5203
(Specs:268/280 adv., 224/230@.050, .524/.544 lift, 110 LSA)
Compression around 9.5:1
Stock crank
Stock rods with good bolts
Standard volume oil pump
Stock oil pan with windage tray

Exhaust:

1 7/8" headers to dual 2.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

91-octane. Keep redline to 6000 rpm.

^^^ all stock minus cam and the heads are ported and it has a nice carb. But cheep build.

Other good reading

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0602_big_block_ford_engine_build/index.html

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/ford/bigblock/0108phrbbford/index.html

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so what you are trying to say is that if i go pull a 302 out of a 95 f150 its gonna have a roller cam?

and whut i said about the 302 h.o. is what i was told by people who build and race mustangs i didnt just make it up or something alright. my bad if i made a mistake but nobodys perfect.
yes. it will have a roller cam and i believe the 91+5.0s also have roller rockers (dont quote me on that)

please chill dude. if you were smart ud learn to research everything instead of just trusting what people tell you.
(which was obviously a lie)

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dual sump.
thanks
im set on 302 iv stated that please stop trying to change my mind it gets on my nerves

You can buy moly grease anywhere. "Moly" is short for Molybdenum Disulphide. Which is a greasy dark grey mineral, very similar to Graphite. When used in lubricants, it improves the lubricity of the grease and protects the metals. When used in steel making, it greatly improves the steel's strength. It comes in many types of greases, I like the black stuff. :icon_thumby:
thank you for the info im writin that down.
:icon_rofl:If you blew up 3 302's,:icon_confused: then it's just a matter of time before the 351 goes Kaboom too. :icon_rofl:
bingo and people can argue til there blue in the face about wether a 302 or a 351 is better

Get a 460. Alot of hp and the big block motor will give alot of power and wont break. Here are some good things to read.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

425-450HP 460ci

Intake System:

750cfm Holley DP professionally calibrated for your application
Edelbrock Performer Rpm Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

D0VE head with mild port job, chambers polished, and port match
(315-ish/180-ish cfm @.600)
Intake valve size 2.08
Exhaust valve size 1.65
Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam Custom Spec Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent
Based on the Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Series
Intake Lobe 5443 and Exhaust Lobe 5203
(Specs:268/280 adv., 224/230@.050, .524/.544 lift, 110 LSA)
Compression around 9.5:1
Stock crank
Stock rods with good bolts
Standard volume oil pump
Stock oil pan with windage tray

Exhaust:

1 7/8" headers to dual 2.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

91-octane. Keep redline to 6000 rpm.

^^^ all stock minus cam and the heads are ported and it has a nice carb. But cheep build.

Other good reading

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0602_big_block_ford_engine_build/index.html

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/ford/bigblock/0108phrbbford/index.html
bbf?
no thanks. a 302 is gonna be enough of a headache as is.
thanks tho.
i've done my 460 homework and i saw the 460 ranger who won stotm and he said it wasn't as difficult as ud think but its tight and this is my first v8 swap so i wanna keep it simple mechanically.
maybe another day...

Last edited:

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im gonna agree with you keep with the 302... i know a guy with a 351w in his 87 drag truck and he said it was a pain in the ass... and the stearing sill isnt the best i hope you figure it all out and good luck with your build...

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
yes. it will have a roller cam and i believe the 91+5.0s also have roller rockers (dont quote me on that)
The 93-95 Cobra 5.0's were the only Fords that got roller rockers from the factory.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im gonna agree with you keep with the 302... i know a guy with a 351w in his 87 drag truck and he said it was a pain in the ass... and the stearing sill isnt the best i hope you figure it all out and good luck with your build...
thanks and im sure it'll be an adventure!

The 93-95 Cobra 5.0's were the only Fords that got roller rockers from the factory.
i stand corrected thanks baddad457
:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals