• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Glitch in fuse panel-wiring,,'88 BII

DFWBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Un-hooked battery(always do this when working on electrical stuff) before I pulled out all fuses/breakers to clean contacts and put in correct fuses. Got all new fuses in,,hooked up battery again,, no smoking wires or anything clicking, etc. Started it up that eve and noticed the parking and tail lights were on,, checked switch,,in all the way. hmm. Its like newer trucks with day-light running lights but the head lights weren't on though. Got me stumpped. I've felt under the dash and no warm or hot wiring, traced wires to ign. switch,,no warm or hot wiring. Has this happened to anyone else here?? If so,,was was the cause and howd you remedy it? thanks,,,Larry in hotter than H Texas.:icon_cheers:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And all you did was replace the fuses in the block? One by one, right?

DFWBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And all you did was replace the fuses in the block? One by one, right?
Yes sir,, 1X1 replaced, while consulting the Helm's book and the schematic list on the fuse box cover. 20, 25, 30s. double checked there were a couple fuses cracked or dis-colored due to age but still functional cause the wire inside was not broken. there were a couple also wrong size/color. the parking and tail lights didnt come on with KOEO or KOER before I changed fuses,,, why they come on now with correct fuses in the box. ya reckon PO changed wiring somehow? New one on me too!!! thanks anyway,,,Larry in 99.9F N.Texas at 930pm Monday:icon_cheers:

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sounds to me like you have a short around the fuse. I'd start by checking the connectors for the fuse, the wires coming in to the back side. Might be a broken or corroded connector back there. Possibly a crossed wire from another fuse.
Since that is all you messed with, that is where I'd start looking.

DFWBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sounds to me like you have a short around the fuse. I'd start by checking the connectors for the fuse, the wires coming in to the back side. Might be a broken or corroded connector back there. Possibly a crossed wire from another fuse.
Since that is all you messed with, that is where I'd start looking.
Tnx,, yes that's what Im thinking too. This has to be a wire that gets power when the key is on/engine running. maybe a hot wire rubbing against the tail/parking light wires in the fuse box. Why would replaceing the fuses with the right size cause this problem? that fuse panel is a b---h to get to, gotta tear the whole dash apart, even to replace hd-light switch which I have already(new Ford part) when I get time. So,,next time I make a run to pick-n-pulls, guess Ill have to take the side-cuts and do some dissecting of fuse panels/harnesses etc. Sorry Rangers/BroncoIIs but this is gonna hurt a bit:bawling:,,haha. stay cool yall in this horrid heat wave...Larry:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals