• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Getting to the distributor bolt

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If I can't do it...find someone to teach me
$150.00 bucks to anyone who wants to come set my timing. I have tried everything I can think of and cannot get on the hold down bolt!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Well with the use of a telescoping magnet and going through the passenger side wheel well I finally got the socket on the bolt. I could then see where to put the extension on the socket from under the hood. I had her running great. Sounded good. On her first trip she stalled and wouldn't restart. I got her towed home and after basic trouble shooting I realized that my radiator was nearly empty and my oil pan was VERY full. I think its time to let her go. :mad:

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So I am considering a rebuild of a block I have (the original engine) and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a quality kit. I don't know why I am so hesitant to let this truck go for good.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd take the negine you're going to build apart and inspect things before spending any money, you may find all you need are rings, bearing, and gaskets or you may find it's a disaster. I tore down a promised "good" engine once and found a quarter sized hole into the water jacket that lined up with the one mis matched connecting rod.I prefer Clevite bearings if they're available and Felpro or Victor Reinz gaskets and usually get engine parts from Summit Racing. Their prices are decent(keeping in mind I buy parts locally at wholesale) and on the very rare occasions that I've had a problem, Summit stepped up and fixed it. I know you don't have road salt to deal with but new freeze plugs are cheap and much easier to change with the engine on a stand than in the rig.

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'd take the negine you're going to build apart and inspect things before spending any money, you may find all you need are rings, bearing, and gaskets or you may find it's a disaster. I tore down a promised "good" engine once and found a quarter sized hole into the water jacket that lined up with the one mis matched connecting rod.I prefer Clevite bearings if they're available and Felpro or Victor Reinz gaskets and usually get engine parts from Summit Racing. Their prices are decent(keeping in mind I buy parts locally at wholesale) and on the very rare occasions that I've had a problem, Summit stepped up and fixed it. I know you don't have road salt to deal with but new freeze plugs are cheap and much easier to change with the engine on a stand than in the rig.
Yes sir. Disassembly and inspection was for sure the first planned step.

Darascal101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So here is a stupid question if the water into the oil pan was the result of a failed timing cover gasket would the water go almost directly into the oil pan. I only ask because it was like the water was going directly into the oil pan while I was filling the radiator without the engine running.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
To get to the distributor bolt on my 94 3.0L I used a swivel and an extension and was able to get to it from the top passenger side. I used one hand to make sure the socket slipped on to the head of the bolt and the other to maneuver the socket/extension. You have to do it blind and that is why I used my left hand to guide the socket onto the head of the bolt. I changed my distributor due to the bushings wearing out.

The water/anti-freeze would go into the timing chain housing then into the oil pan if the timing chain cover gasket let go to the inside. In my experience they seem to let go on the right side (passenger side) to the outside most times.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So here is a stupid question if the water into the oil pan was the result of a failed timing cover gasket would the water go almost directly into the oil pan. I only ask because it was like the water was going directly into the oil pan while I was filling the radiator without the engine running.
Yes, on the 3.0l the timing chain cover has 2 passages for the water pump to block interface
Picture of 3.0l with timing cover removed and the 2 coolant passages pointed out: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_6301-1200a-jpg.53389/

You can see the now exposed/open oil pan at the bottom

Picture here of the cover: https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://preview.redd.it/dfv3dsu20rp71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=34dc5cfa6df9dbe9c7a7032db13ded22754bd24a

If either passage has a gasket failure then coolant/water can flow directly into the oil pan when the level of coolant/water reaches the level of the passages

You should loosen the oil pan so front drops down a bit before removing the timing chain cover, then after cover is reinstalled use some RTV and tighten oil pan back up

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals