• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Getting annoyed

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I bought my replacement Ranger about a month ago. Its not a bad truck except there are some things that have been annoying me. The two biggest things that annoy me is for one, the 3L is stupidly gutless, and two, with the subs in the box, I have very little space, less then the trunk space in my old Caravelle (K-Car body style). I originally wanted a 4L 5 speed 2WD standard cab step side, but this came up when I was needing something cheaper on gas ($80/week with my old Dakota). I also have a massive internal oil leak, about 1L of oil for ever 1000km. I'm thinking of just dumping this truck and picking up a Focus wagon (so I can still have some space, but cheap on gas), or picking up another Ranger/small F150 when one comes along, or drive it and keep topping the oil up. Another idea I just had was to replace the engine with the 4L, should be a straight forward swap, it wouldn't be to bad if I found a 4L with lower mileage, it should bolt up to the 5 speed. What does everybody think, any other ideas, anything welcome. I do have the truck up for sale at the moment, but I'm not 100% decided about selling it or not.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Trevor, aka. Racin Ranger on RPS has a few 4.0L's kicking around. I can give you his number if you want, and I'll have mine out by fall if everything goes right, with tranny.....and I say that because IIRC the 3.0L and 4.0L have different bell housing patterns and they have an integrated housing on the tranny, so no swapability.

-andrew

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i would go ahead and do the swap

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Yep, the 3.0 is it's own with trannies. 2.8/2.9/and 4.0 have the same bolt pattern on the back.

I say do the swap too... It shouldn't be incredibly hard to find a tranny that is good enough.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Yep, the 3.0 is it's own with trannies. 2.8/2.9/and 4.0 have the same bolt pattern on the back.

I say do the swap too... It shouldn't be incredibly hard to find a tranny that is good enough.
3.0l is on its own as far as bellhousings go, and the 4.0l is on its own as far as gear ratios go.

If the truck is in good shape I say do the swap.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It may be more money then you want to spend....but trevor has a very (30k?) low mileage SOHC engine sitting in his shop that would make for an awesome swap!

-andrew

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Not to mention you get a lot more power and probably better gas mileage too by swapping in the 4.0L

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to look at the Focus tomorrow, but as it stands, I'm open, its good to know that I'm fucked with the 3L and in interchangeable transmission. Not that that idea is almost ruled out since I hardly want to spend a grand on an engine, let alone and engine and transmission combo. I'm thinking if this Focus is good, this will be my Rangers replacement, and I'll see what ever I can get out of it, hopefully, I can get what I bought it for, in the vary least.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals