• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas tank strap rusting out recall for F-150: Ranger too?

nadsab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

I heard yesterday that Ford is recalling F-150's because of gas tank straps rusting out and tanks falling off.

We had the exact same problem with our Ranger and I had to replace our straps last year,

I was wondering if anyone had similar problem and does Ford plan on recalling rangers as well for this same problem?

maybe I can get re imbursed for our straps...

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly, i'm not understanding why it's Ford's fault that steel straps rusted out over a period of 10+ years. It can happen on many other vehicles as well. I found an article that best sums it up...
http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-detroit/nhtsa-investigating-ford-f150-fuel-tank-straps-recall-coming
I understand that the NHTSA has to check up on things like this, thanks to Toyota’s refusal to acknowledge problems that cost some of their consumers their lives. However, we are talking about trucks that are generally driven year-round and metal gas tank straps are going to rust over time. When working as a mechanic, I lost track of how frequently we replaced tank straps on all sorts of vehicles (both imports and domestics) and within the last year, I replaced the straps on one of my Dodge Rams.

When you drive a car or truck through the winter and are bombarding the undercarriage with road salt, metal components are going to rust. If the NHTSA requires Ford to recall these F150s due to rust on the fuel tank straps, it opens a massive can of worms as all sorts of items are going to rust as the vehicles grow older. This isn’t an issue isolated just to Ford, so will the NHTSA require other companies to replace the tank straps on vehicles that are as old as the trucks being investigated?
Rust happens.

nadsab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I guess a logical question to pose then, is, are gas tankstraps rusting out after ten years a common problem among all auto manufacturers.? Or is this problem mainly with fords?

If all cars and trucks have this problem then I don't think Ford should be responsible but if this is mainly a ford problem, then they should pay for it. Because if other car makers can figure out how to prevent gas tanks from falling out and only ford can not, then this is something that Ford needs to be responsible for.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I guess a logical question to pose then, is, are gas tankstraps rusting out after ten years a common problem among all auto manufacturers.? Or is this problem mainly with fords?

If all cars and trucks have this problem then I don't think Ford should be responsible but if this is mainly a ford problem, then they should pay for it. Because if other car makers can figure out how to prevent gas tanks from falling out and only ford can not, then this is something that Ford needs to be responsible for.
Did you read what I quoted from the article? About how the guy replaced the gas tank straps on many import and domestic vehicles?

It's also going to be a geographical issue. Vehicles up there rust a hell of a lot faster than down here.

nadsab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes.

You may be right, I would have to see all the stats and data as to how many gas tank straps on ford trucks fail compared to other trucks and cars before I form an opinion.

One thing I am curious about though - did the feds - NHTSA compare ford gas tank strap failure to other vehicles before starting the recall or investigation? Or is that what they are doing now?

Last edited:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Seriously? And when your frame snaps in half are you gonna blame ford or yourself for not sanding it Down and putting a rubberized coating to stop or slow the rust.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes.

You may be right, I would have to see all the stats and data as to how many gas tank straps on ford trucks fail compared to other trucks and cars before I form an opinion.

One thing I am curious about though - did the feds - NHTSA compare ford gas tank strap failure to other vehicles before starting the recall or investigation? Or is that what they are doing now?
Just like the Windstar fiasco I am thinking the only vehicles involved are the ones that are 5 years late for the crusher. Rusted all over, extremly high milage, running like crap with no intentions to fix... and running around with a shiny new rear axle.

IMO they would be better off to put a bullet in the nag and haul it off. :icon_thumby:

My brother has a '97 F-150 and I have an '02 F-150, 0 problems with fuel tank straps.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
No recalls listed for Ranger, Bro.....only the F-150 series. The Ranger has not had a recall on anything for awhile.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Yep......the gas tank straps on my Dodge that I sold in 1995 had a good surface layer of rust on them, but they didn't need changing--just wirebrushing & a coat of paint.....

but....then again...the straps were OEM.......and it was a 1941 dodge truck...

maybe that year model used GOOD metal to produce the straps....:icon_rofl:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think rusted out spring hangers is a more common problem from what I've seen here, even with some 2000's. I sue could see a broken hanger as a safety concern.
Dave

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I'm gonna be replacing my brothers as the expo is bouncing spring on frame at moment.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i had mine sitting on my skid plate for 2 years :)

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
IMO they would be better off to put a bullet in the nag and haul it off. :icon_thumby:
:icon_rofl: good thing you're not setting the policies...lol

My first gas tank rotted out but the straps on the new tank are the originals...I think there was some serious corner cutting going on to try to reduce costs...or maybe just a bad whack of steel...I've seen that happen enough...wasn't coated properly or the guy testing the batch fell asleep...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
maybe I can get re imbursed for our straps...
Or you can stop whining about it and wash your got dang truck once a week during the winter like all car care experts say you should.

This is bigger load of BS than the Windstar recalls and the Continental tire recall.

The newest tire recall amount to "we have determined that if the tire is operated outside manufacturer recommended conditions (load, temp, inflation level, etc) it may fail, so we are recalling them".

Last edited:

lindiA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Ford vehicle safety

Did you guys read the news already? I've read in the papers that Ford Motor Business is set to recall 1.1 million pickup trucks. The recall will include the F150, which is the automaker's preferred model in the U.S. The automaker cites corrosion of fuel tank straps for the recall. There is a chance of fire should the tank drop from the vehicle. Here is the proof: Ford recalls 1.1 million pickups for fuel tank issues

I think that it's always best to prioritize car safety. Don't you think so?

:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals