• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX4 Differences?

Bjorn Toulouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bought an '08 FX4 "Off Road". While looking for a nice Ranger I saw a couple earlier Rangers advertised that were badged as FX4 "Level II".

I never went to look at the earlier units as one was heavily tarted up and the other was heavily rusted. I considered both to be waaaaaaaaaay over priced.

What are the differences (other than marketing doo-dah) betwixt an early 2000s "Level II" and a later "Off Road" ?

Rex

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2002 FX4 was first year and had most of the options, so FX4 in 2002 was a Level II there was just no "level II" designation yet

In 2003 and up is when there was a difference between FX4 Off Road and FX4 Level II
Off-road will have better suspension and larger tires, better interior trim
Level II will have that plus 4.10 axles, Torsen limited slip in the rear and often a Manual shift transfer case but these did have problems so were changed to the standard electric shift at some point

There were also tow hooks and brush plates on the under side

Good read here on Ranger history: http://www.therangerstation.com/resources/history_of_the_ford_ranger.shtml
And models and options

Last edited:

Bjorn Toulouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx for the link, Ron.
It's interesting to see how standard features become options, and vice-versa, from year to year.

Rex

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, manual transmission used to be base model, it is still even called a "standard" transmission.
Now you have to pay extra for a manual, Automatic is the base model, the "standard" transmission.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In addition to what Ron mentioned, Level II's got special tow hooks, Alcoa wheels, and black interiors too. I believe there was a unique center console option as well.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Don't forget the L II also came with Bilstein shocks. I think that is one of the most important features for improved off-road performance. Of course, they can be installed on any Ranger. Ford just saved you the trouble if you bought the L II or 2002 FX4. The Torsen was probably the best improvement though.

I did feel the Ford tuning of the Bilstein shock was a little soft. It improved ride but was kind of bouncy on moderate rock crawling. When I replace mine at 100K miles with Bilstein tuned version, I was considerably happier with them.

I especially like the manual transfer case that was available in 02 and 03. I like knowing when I shift into 4WD, I am actually in 4WD and don't have to rely on a light to tell me. The electric shift transfer case seems to have had more problems. The manual shift does require knowing how to put it in 4WD. There are some conditions that can cause damage if you try to shift into 4WD or low range at the wrong time. The electric shift will not let you do it until condition are right.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Towards the end of the run the Level II died out and the regular FX4 kinda absorbed some of the features.

And I like my manual t-case too. :icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals