• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Full Cab Rust Restoration - 1989 Custom 2.3L 4wd Regular Cab

FlooredCustom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey folks,

I'm starting this thread to document and share my up-and-coming repairs on my newly acquired Ranger.
The body looks great on the exterior and the frame is still solid, but the cab could use a lot of work.

I recently posted a thread in the Introduction section that showed what happened to my fire wall on the highway. Ranger Danger is a thing.
Thread : Rusty Ranger Danger

Now I'm starting this thread for a more detailed documentation of my repairs as they are quite extensive. If anyone has dealt with similar issues I would love to hear how about it was fixed or modified.

As you can see that damage is pretty bad, a whole lot of rebuilding will be required for a proper restoration.

There really is no easy fix for this either than a full cab replacement, but a new cab for this model is not as common as I would have hoped. Also, I can't afford it, so most of this restoration will be as budget friendly as possibly.

NEXT STEP : Clean all the rust with wire brush grinder and see what good metal is left.
(will update with pictures once done)

Has anyone ever delt with a similar restoration? If so i would love to hear about it to try and mitigate any future problems I might encounter doing so.

Happy grinding!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Holy crap dude. Where do you live? I am assuming that rust is from salty humid air? Looks like your cowl seams went first and kept the carpet soaked for quite a long time.

I really would consider writing that cab off. I can see extensive rust inside the A pillar where the door hinges bolt on and it looks like there's new hardware and washers in there already... how thin is the metal in places you can't see?

I am not afraid of rust repair and have done plenty of it, although I really would suggest finding a different cab. Might take some serious leg work on your end but another member had a rust free cab shipped from CA recently for about $1000. Consider your time and materials, what are they worth?

FlooredCustom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Holy crap dude. Where do you live? I am assuming that rust is from salty humid air? Looks like your cowl seams went first and kept the carpet soaked for quite a long time.

I really would consider writing that cab off. I can see extensive rust inside the A pillar where the door hinges bolt on and it looks like there's new hardware and washers in there already... how thin is the metal in places you can't see?

I am not afraid of rust repair and have done plenty of it, although I really would suggest finding a different cab. Might take some serious leg work on your end but another member had a rust free cab shipped from CA recently for about $1000. Consider your time and materials, what are they worth?
You are 100% correct, I live in East Coast Canada, they salt the roads during winter and the summer are hot and humid. Best of both worlds right...

I've looked for a cab but I'm not having much luck, they are either 2-3 years away from looking like mine, or quite expensive. But I am keeping an eye out. If I could get a rust-free cab for anything under 2000CAD I would deff consider it.

And yes, both A pillars would have to be redone completely on the outside where the hinges are. I've done it in the past with 2"x1" angle steel bar but had much more good material to work with. Both the A pillar and the corners under my windshield are my biggest uncertainties right now.

It's quite the restomod compared to what I worked on in the past. So I see it more as a hobby right now, or a "Challenge accepted" moment I might regret, but either way I'm giving it a try haha.

Thanks for the interest.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
I have a cab that is in much better shape does have some rust repair needed on the fire wall, however, the rest of it isn't to bad. I'm also about as far away as I could be and be in the US lol.

FlooredCustom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Custom
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a cab that is in much better shape does have some rust repair needed on the fire wall, however, the rest of it isn't to bad. I'm also about as far away as I could be and be in the US lol.
Dang you got me excited there for a second haha.. sadly shipping would probably cost more that the cab itself and I'm also not familiar with shipping stuff threw customs so i might be wrong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals