• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump and now no working truck

kingkevo85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay so yesterday morning after I got to work I realized my fuel pump didn't shut off. But then after a few minutes it shut off on it's own. Then after work I drove home. It wouldn't shut off again but at all this time. I looked a few things up on the internet and nothing worked. It turns over but wont get power. Any help would be wonderful. And thank you all for you help before. I truly love this little truck but my god its on thing after another.

86' FORD RANGER
2.9 2 wheel drive fuel injected.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the inner fender in engine bay there will be 2 or 3 relays
They will have different colored Bases/plugins
Green is the Fuel Pump Relay
Brown is the EEC relay
Black is the WOT Relay

It reads like your Fuel pump relay is sticking closed, not cutting power to fuel pump.
And if you have a no start now then it has failed completely.

If you have a Black WOT relay you can swap these two around, but not EEC relay
Otherwise you will have to get another Relay at parts store to see if this is the problem.

It is a standard automotive relay, $5-$10

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
yah a hung relay. I'd check battery, it may be flat from running the fuel pump. That could be the no start issue. 30 yr old Cars don't make good daily drivers. Everything original can fail at any moment. The Rat currently has the rear drive shaft 1/2 off and its only 22 yrs old. :D.

rangerraider1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would first start by reseting the computer then if it works it is probably the relay is stuck and If it still does not start replace the relay and reset computer if it still does not work it could be the worst the fuel pump was on the frenzy and it let go. check all fuses and you can ohm out the relays using a multi meter I have always been taught start at the cheaper fix then work your way up... Has always worked for me . Oh if you do have to replace the pump t55 star bit will be your friend and maybe a cheater bar

Jshep94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
best fuel pump to use

im been looking to get a new fuel pump for my 91 ranger xlt thinking about going with carter don't really have the money for a new motorcraft one so what is the next best plz help thanks

rangerraider1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just my opinion it does not matter really as long as it has a good warranty and make sure you replace the pump filter and maybe the filter on the frame. Something caused it to burn up so that is what I have always done oh also check the fuses to see if it is burned up also make sure you are getting power to it. Ground wires cause a lot of havoc.

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On fuel pumps it's one of the few places I'm Oem only for a reason; if not going that route just by a name brand or one of their cheapy fronts (moog is general, etc)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals