• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Filter

buckshotz43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering what exactly does a fuel filter does and do they go bad and/or throw a code? Would replacing it help with mpgs and where it is on a 98 thanks!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll do it..

I was wondering what exactly does a fuel filter does and do they go bad and/or throw a code? Would replacing it help with mpgs and where it is on a 98 thanks!
The fuel PUMP in a vehicle squirts the fuel under pressure thru small openings in the intake manifold. This pressure causes the fuel to be vaporized and turned into a flammable mixture.
The openings are so small that tiny particles of rust, dust or other matter will stop them up.. When one or more are stopped up the engine is running poorly and on a mixture that is so lean that parts of the engine overheat..
Ok now the fuel filter.. It takes these small particles OUT of the fuel flow and keeps them until the filter is changed for a new one.
Nope. they don't throw a code.
Yep, they should be changed for a new one.
I change mine with an oil change about every 50,000 miles if it is external.
Most of the newer vehicles have the filter inside the fuel tank and they are only changed when the fuel filter goes away.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The filter is located within the lefthand side frame rail. You must de-pressurize the fuel system FIRST. Be carefull with the fitting clips and make sure its installed with the arrow facing the right direction. You must be a novice at working on your truck so i would suggest getting a Haynes or Chiltons manual from any parts store and study away. Good luck with your project and we will help however we can. :icon_thumby:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
a 98 you can't get wrong with the direction of flow. 2 in back one in front. i didn't depressurize fuel system and barely any fuel came out. the barbs are a bit tricky the clear or white ones pull out while the green one pushes in. you'll get what i mean when you do it

dbp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe Ford recommends changing the fuel filter every 15,000 miles.

buckshotz43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help looks like im gonna be picking up a book to figure this all out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals